Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Work Term Student – Toronto Employment Survey within our City Planning Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a “Current Part-time employee” in the “Custom Information” section of your on-line application form, and provide your “Employee Number” in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
- The applicant pool from this job posting may be used for similar summer job opportunities in various divisions.
Work for the City Planning Division and help us understand how the City’s economy and land use are changing by doing field research. Use a tablet computer in the field to collect thousands of records of information on employment and land use that we use to plan the City’s future development and the services it offers.
- Participates in a field survey by gathering data from thousands of business establishments, buildings and properties in the City of Toronto for use in urban planning research and policy development, within the context of municipal planning and current planning issues in Ontario
- Independently visits places of employment and other sites in all parts of the City and determines and records various characteristics, e.g. business name; number of employees; land use, employment activity; development and construction characteristics
- Collects and enters data into the employment and land use databases using a tablet computer and GIS software in the field and in the office, edits and verifies material, and conducts on-site and telephone call-backs when necessary
- Precisely follows procedures and works accurately and efficiently within strict time- frames, and keeps supervisors proactively advised of the status of the assigned work
- Works independently and as a member of a team to complete the assigned tasks and collaborates with others to complete the project on schedule
- Assists in general office duties as required.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Currently enrolled in, and having completed, at least one year of a post-secondary educational degree programme in Urban Planning or in Geography, GIS or Environmental Studies with an emphasis on urban and/or regional planning.
- Highly developed communication, organizational, problem solving and multi-tasking skills with the ability to work with others and to plan, assess priorities and perform the work.
- Basic computer literacy, preferably in a Windows environment.
- Willing to travel extensively throughout the City of Toronto and able to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to carry a tablet computer with a weight of 2.5 kg for daily field survey work over many weeks.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: