First Nations in the Northwest Territories will be getting just over $6 million, while the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation will be receiving $5.85 million to address coronavirus concerns.
That funding is part of the $305 million dollars that the federal government announced last week specifically for Indigenous communities across Canada.
A spokesperson for Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) said communities will receive the bulk of the money “with maximum flexibility so they can adapt their response to local needs.”
Some of the possible uses include:
- Support for Elders and vulnerable community members
- Measures to address food insecurity
- Educational and other support for children
- Mental health assistance and emergency response services
- Preparedness measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19