2009 Governor General’s Literary Awards Dates Announced By The Canada Council For The Arts
The Governor General’s Literary Awards, Canada’s most prestigious literary awards, are given annually to the best English-language and the best French-language books. They are awarded in each of the seven categories: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, children’s literature (text), children’s literature (illustration), and translation.The Canada Council for the Arts funds, administers and promotes the Governor General’s Literary Awards. The value of each award is $25,000.
Bookmark these dates!
Wednesday, October 14, 10 a.m. – Announcement of finalists
• All finalists (English- and French-language) will be announced at Ben McNally Books, 366 Bay St. (at Richmond), Toronto.
• The list of finalists, along with jury citations and downloadable images of the covers of the shortlisted books, will be posted on the Canada Council website as of 11 a.m. EDT on October 14.
Monday, October 26, 8 p.m. – Reading at the International Festival of Authors
• The five English-language fiction finalists will read from their shortlisted books as part of the International Festival of Authors (IFOA) at the Fleck Dance Theatre, Harbourfront Centre in Toronto.
• For more information about the reading, contact Becky Toyne, IFOA publicist, at 416-973-5836 or btoyne[at]harbourfrontcentre.com
Tuesday, November 17, 10 a.m. – Announcement of winners
• All winners, English- and French-language, will be announced at La Grande Bibliothèque de Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, 475 Boulevard De Maisonneuve East, Montreal.
• The winners will speak at the news conference and will be available for in-person and telephone interviews immediately following the announcement.
• The list of winners, downloadable photographs and biographical information will be posted on the Canada Council website as of 11 a.m. EST on November 17.
Wednesday, November 18 to Monday, November 23 – Salon du livre de Montréal
• The finalists and winners’ books will be highlighted at the Canada Council booth at the Salon du livre de Montréal, Place Bonaventure.
Thursday, November 26, 6 p.m. – Awards presentation at Rideau Hall
• Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, will present the 2009 Literary Awards.
• Media representatives wishing to cover the awards presentation should contact Julie Rocheleau at the Rideau Hall Press Office, 613-998-7280 or jrcoheleau[at]gg.ca
Arts Promotion Coordinator
1-800-263-5588 or (613) 566-4414, ext. 5145
email Email this contact
Public Relations Officer
1-800-263-5588 or (613) 566-4414, ext. 4523
email Email this contact
Interviews with authors and illustrators:
Diane Hargrave Public Relations
In Montreal (English-language):
Christopher DiRaddo, Christopher DiRaddo Communications
Mireille Bertrand, publicist
Cell phone: 514-652-6085