- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
2018 Qilaut Inuktut songwriting winners
The Department of Culture and Heritage is pleased to announce the winners of Qilaut 2018. The Qilaut Inuktut songwriting contest celebrates Nunavut’s vibrant Inuktut music scene and promotes the use of Inuktut in all areas of daily life.
The department received 23 submissions and the songs were judged by a peer-panel on originality, creativity, melody and lyrics. The judges included Paul Irksuk, Nancy Kadlun and Lucassie Peter.
The top ten winning songs are:
1. “Nunaga” by Joey Nowyuk of Pangnirtung
2. “Iqqaumaquvagit” by Amanda Ishulutaq of Pangnirtung
3. “Tamaani” by Joey Nowyuk of Pangnirtung
4. “Nunavuqaliq&uta Quviasukpugut” by Angela Amarualik of Igloolik
5. “Piusituqait” by Kinngait Band of Cape Dorset
6. “Ulirnaisivut” by Amanda Ishulutaq of Pangnirtung
7. “Ippigijauttiarngat” by Tooma Laisa of Iqaluit
8. “Iliqqusirimmagu” by Daniel Kolola of Iqaluit
9. “Qilalukkiqsiiluni” by Daniel Taukie of Iqaluit
10. “Surusiunirnut” by Kinngait Band of Cape Dorset
The top three winners will receive $5,000, $2,500 and $1,500 respectively, and the seven runners-up receive $500 each. All ten songs will be professionally recorded, and the CD will be released during Nunavut 20th Anniversary Celebration in 2019.
Elizabeth A. Roberts
Department of Culture and Heritage
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.