Cabinet extends security review of proposed Chinese takeover of Aecon Group – CP

Cabinet extends security review of proposed Chinese takeover of Aecon Group – CP

by pmnationtalk on February 12, 2018161 Views

Source: The Canadian Press
Feb 12, 2018

TORONTO _ The federal cabinet has told Aecon Group Inc. that it will take more time to complete a national security review of the proposed takeover of the Canadian construction company by a Chinese state-owned business.

Toronto-based Aecon says the minister responsible for economic development informed the company that cabinet has ordered a further investigation of the deal under the Investment Canada Act.

The government’s approval is the last major hurdle that Aecon must clear to close the $1.5 billion deal.

The takeover of Aecon by CCCC International Holding Ltd. (CCCI) has come under intense criticism from a number of sources, including Conservative member of Parliament Tony Clement, a former industry minister.

Aecon fired back at its critics last week, saying on Friday that it feared the federal security review would be tainted by false or misleading claims.

On Monday, Aecon said CCCI has agreed to extend the deadline for closing the deal to March 30 _ five weeks later than the previous deadline of Feb. 23

Companies in this story: (TSX:ARE)

INDEX: DEFENCE NATIONAL BUSINESS POLITICS CONSTRUCTION

Send To Friend Email Print Story

Comments are closed.

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More