CAP: MMIWG Anniversary Marked by Inaction, Delays.
June 3, 2020 (Ottawa, ON) – On June 3rd 2019, the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG) released its final report. A year later, Indigenous people across Canada continue to wait for meaningful action on the 231 Calls to Justice.
The very first call to justice in the report says, with regards to implementing a National Action Plan, “All programs must be no-barrier, and must apply regardless of Status or location”. Despite this clear demand, the Federal government continues to support a “Distinctions-Based Approach” which excludes the majority of Indigenous people from programs and services.
The Congress of Aboriginal Peoples (CAP) was a Party with Standing in the National Inquiry, highlighting the gaps in the federal approach to supporting Indigenous women, girls, and gender and sexual minorities across Canada. The failure to support off-reserve and non-status Indigenous people has been repeatedly identified as a risk factor leading to violence and death.
Nowhere has this unequal approach been clearer than the federal response to COVID-19. Hundreds of millions in funding have been allocated towards a minority of Indigenous people based on their membership in selected organizations, while the majority have been left with only a small fraction of the total. Frustration continues to mount with the announcement last week of further delays in a National Action Plan and the lack of a clear path forward.
“The actions by this government undermine confidence that the Calls to Justice are taken seriously” said CAP National Chief Robert Bertrand. “CAP has been a partner in the MMIWG process since the beginning. We have informed the government repeatedly of the gaps in their approach, and we have not seen meaningful changes.”
For media interviews please contact:
Jessica Dawson, Executive Assistant