Christmas Lights Across Canada Will Light Up the Country from Coast to Coast to Coast
From: Canadian Heritage
OTTAWA, December 5, 2018
Tonight marks the start of the 34th annual Christmas Lights Across Canada, during which capital cities across the country will be illuminated. Everyone is invited to marvel at the luminous landscape that will unite the provinces and territories in the spirit of the holidays. This program is presented by Manulife, the exclusive sponsor.
The Christmas Lights Across Canada illumination ceremony will start at 7 p.m. on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, in the presence of the Honourable Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism. Hundreds of thousands of lights will shine brightly in the heart of Canada’s Capital Region. The evening will feature musical performances by Ariane Moffatt and Josée Bourgeois, as well as a projection of the magical Winter Lightscapes multimedia show on the Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, and a colourful pyrotechnics show.
Several capital cities in other parts of the country are also celebrating Christmas Lights Across Canada:
- In Yellowknife, the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories will switch on more than 20,000 lights.
- Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Québec, Fredericton, Charlottetown and Halifax have already turned on their Christmas lights and are well into the holiday spirit.
- The Christmas Lights Across Canada celebrations will continue tomorrow, December 6, with ceremonies in Victoria, Regina, Iqaluit and St. John’s.
Whitehorse will round out the festivities on December 8 with an illumination ceremony on Main Street featuring the lighting of a 15-metre Christmas tree.
“Across the country, several capitals are kicking off Christmas Lights Across Canada celebrations. Our government is proud to once again join the provinces and territories to create a ribbon of light and a symbol of peace and unity. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all Canadians the very best for the holidays.”
Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism
- This is the 34th edition of Christmas Lights Across Canada.
- Canada’s Capital Region will be illuminated from December 5, 2018 to January 7, 2019.
- The magical Winter Lightscapes show, which combines digital technology with the architectural splendour of the Parliament’s Centre Block, will be presented in a 14-minute loop every night from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m., from December 6, 2018 to January 7, 2019.
- On December 31 only, the multimedia show will run until 11:59 p.m. At the stroke of midnight, a short pyrotechnics display will ring in the New Year.
- Manulife is the exclusive sponsor of Christmas Lights Across Canada.
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism