City of St. Albert: Orange Shirt Day on September 30, 2019
The City of St. Albert is observing Orange Shirt Day to support our community’s journey towards reconciliation. In recognition of the harm that residential schools had on Indigenous families and communities, in acknowledging the ongoing impact their existence continues to have and in the spirit of reconciliation, we invite you to join us.
We will be meeting at 12 p.m. in the St. Albert Place lobby, for bannock and tea. Following this, Mayor Cathy Heron and Elders will speak briefly before we walk together to the Healing Garden. There, we will host a gathering and smudge and Indigenous Elders will share perspectives, cultural learnings and words of reflection.
Please join us and plan to wear orange as we walk together on our journey towards understanding and reconciliation.
- 12 p.m. – Tea and bannock in the lobby of St. Albert Place
- 12:30 p.m. – Brief comments from Mayor Cathy Heron in the lobby of St. Albert Place
- 12:40 p.m. – Walk together from St. Albert Place to the Healing Garden
- 12:55 p.m. – Smudge, words from Elder, singing, drumming at Healing Garden (north side of Sturgeon River, directly across from St. Albert Place)
- St. Albert Place Lobby, 5 St. Anne St.
- St. Albert Healing Garden, 74 Mission Ave.
– 30 –