Council has Decided to Combat the Illegal Sale and Distribution of Drugs and Alcohol within the Beausoleil First Nation Territory
Monday, March 02, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
At a duly convened Council meeting held today in the Beausoleil First Nation Administration Building, Council has decided to take a zero tolerance stance on the illegal sale of drugs and alcohol within our territory. This includes the illegal sale of alcohol(bootlegging) and the illegal sale or distribution of drugs such as cocaine, crack cocaine, oxycontons, tylenols, and marijuana.A meeting is being scheduled involving council, staff members, emergency medical services, and the Anishinabek Police Service to develop an implement a strategy to combat this illegal action. At this meeting we will be discussing among other things:
• The development and implementation of community safety laws, ordinances, or by-laws.
• The development of positive anti-drug campaign measures.
• The development and enhancement of existing programming that will encourage healthy living.
• Criminal charges that are applicable to persons involved in the illegal sale and distribution of drugs and alcohol.
• The development and implementation of First Nation sanctions against persons involved in the illegal sale and distribution of drugs and alcohol within our territory.
• The development and enhancement of programming to foster healing within our people.
We have been turning a blind eye to these illegal activities. By saying and doing nothing we at Council feel that we are allowing these activities to occur, and these activities result in unsafe living conditions, troubled and misguided youth, depression and despair.
Following the meeting above Council will bring forward and present to you at the next general meeting our plan to fight these illegal activities.
Our youth are the future of our First Nation and it is our duty to protect them.
We thank you in advance for your coorperation.
Chief Rodney Monague Jr. Chief Councillor Allan Manitowabi
Councillor Dwayne King Councillor Arnold Jamieson Jr.
Councillor Owen Monague Councillor Janet Sylvester
Councillor Mary Reid Councillor Melvin King
Councillor Susan Copegog Councillor Elizabeth Brass Elson