GDI: COVID-19 – April 6th
Métis-specific emergency response (PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WIDELY)
*Full program details and instructions available on the MN-S website
On March 31, 2020 the Métis Nation Saskatchewan announced $2.88 million for immediate emergency COVID-19 relief measures for childcare, housing, and PPE. Below is a summary.
MN–S Emergency Housing Support Program
- One-time $500 payment to Métis households needing relief
- Available to registered and self-identifying Métis households accepted by the Métis community
- Download the application for emergency relief funds here and submit the completed application to your regional office.
- Contact your Regional rep to register for emergency funds / 1-833-343-8391
MN–S Childcare Support
- One-time $500 per child to a maximum of $2,500
- Children must be under 10; registered MN–S citizens; resident of SK for the past 6 months
- An MN–S daycare for first responders and emergency workers will also be available
- Full criteria and online applications are available on the MN–S website.
- You can access the application here. Submit the completed application to email@example.com.
- Contact Lisa Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-833-343-8391
MN–S Personal Protective Equipment Program
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may include hand sanitizer, masks, disinfectant cleaning supplies, gloves, clinical thermometers
- Available to registered and self-identifying Métis
- MN–S will access and distribute supplies and Regions will identify at-risk Métis
- Identify need to your Regional representative / 1-833-343-8391
- Gabriel Dumont Institute/Dumont Technical Institute classes continue to be delivered remotely.
Gabriel Dumont Institute Training & Employment Funded Clients:
- GDITE funded clients whose programs are interrupted or altered will not have their income support, dependent care, and other non-travel-related allowances penalized, reduced, or cancelled.
- Additional supports are available for funded clients who are required to relocate due to the COVID-19 situation.
- Additional supports are also being offered to funded clients whose programs are interrupted or altered, who would benefit from tutoring.
- GDITE funded clients whose programs are cancelled or extended due to COVID-19 will be allowed a one-time extension to their intervention.
GDI Graduation Ceremonies
- All graduation ceremonies and events for all GDI/DTI/GDC programs to June 30, 2020 are postponed. Rescheduling to celebrate/mark graduations will be assessed in the future.
- GDI facilities and service offices are closed to public access. Students and clients may be served by appointment and/or remotely. Call GDI toll-free at 1-877-488-6888.
- GDITE career, employment, and training services to Métis continue to be available. Find more information at https://gdins.org/career-and-employment/career-counselling/
GDI Golf Tournament
- The GDI Golf Tournament, scheduled for May 29, 2020, is postponed. A tentative future date is August 21, 2020. Contact email@example.com for more info.
For everyone’s health and safety it is imperative to work together to limit exposure and spread of illness.
- Practice effective handwashing techniques. Wash hands regularly with soap and water and for at least 20 seconds.
- Stay home if you are sick (to prevent spreading illness to other people).
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or cough or sneeze into your arm. Turn away from other people. Dispose of tissues immediately.
- Wash your hands after coughing, sneezing, or using a tissue.
- Do not touch your face (eyes, nose, or mouth).
- Keep a distance of at least two meters (six feet) between people.
COVID-19 Information Online
Residents can go to www.saskatchewan.ca/COVID19 for the latest information.
The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency’s (SPSA) toll free line, 1-855-559-5502, is now being offered 24 hours, 7 days a week. The SPSA toll free line was established in order to answer non-health specific questions about the COVID-19 pandemic.