YELLOWKNIFE (May 31, 2018) – With the new Stanton Hospital now more than 75 per cent complete, the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has signed a lease agreement with Stanton Ventura Inc. to accommodate tenants in the redeveloped existing Stanton Hospital.
Renovations will begin in summer 2019 after patients are moved into the new Stanton Territorial Hospital. The existing hospital will be re-purposed to house:
- Extended Care
- Long Term Care
- Primary Care Clinic
- Out-Patient Rehabilitation Services
This arrangement ensures Stanton Ventura Inc. is responsible for marketing, operating, and maintaining the facility for the next 30 years.
“When renovations are complete on the Stanton Legacy building, our health and social services system will be better equipped to provide a full health suite of services to address the evolving health needs of our residents. Projects like the new Stanton Hospital and the Stanton Legacy project are part of how our government is working towards our goal of best health, best care, for a better future.”
-Glen Abernethy, Minister of Health and Social Services
“The redevelopment of the existing Stanton hospital will make it possible for our government to provide essential services to northerners. The Stanton Legacy building project is providing the GNWT with an opportunity to develop a combined multi-use facility that maximizes the remaining useful life of the building at a cost that is less than the development of a new facility. Investing in the Stanton Legacy project is one of many significant infrastructure investments our government has made, improving the lives of northerners.”
-Wally Schumann, Minister of Infrastructure
- The Stanton Territorial Hospital Renewal Project is a P3 project agreement between the Government of the Northwest Territories, Boreal Health Partnerships and private developer Stanton Ventura Inc., and is the single largest building infrastructure project in GNWT history.
- The P3 agreement allows for the option of redeveloping the legacy building at no cost to the GNWT.
- The Agreement to Lease includes revenue sharing between the GNWT, Boreal Health Partnerships and Stanton Ventura Inc. over the 30 year life of the agreement.
- The existing building and land remain the property of the GNWT and the government can consider its options for continued revenue leasing or repurposing to meet GNWT program requirements.
- Boreal Health Partnerships and the GNWT signed the Project Agreement on September 22, 2015.
- A Tenant Lease was signed by Ventura Inc. and the GNWT on October 26, 2017.
- Move Planning will ensure safe and organized patient and equipment relocation to the new facility while maintaining all critical operations.
- Operational Readiness Planning will prepare both staff and patients for the First Patient Day in the new hospital.
Stanton Territorial Hospital Renewal Project
Stanton Territorial Health Authority
Media and Communications Coordinator
Cabinet Communications and Protocol
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: (867) 767-9140 ext. 11092