Government of Canada announces appointments to the Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada
From: Department of Justice Canada
May 3, 2019 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Justice Canada
The Honourable David Lametti, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and the Honourable Harjit Singh Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, today announced appointments to the Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada under section 234(2)(b) of the National Defence Act:
- The Honourable Justice J. Derek Green, judge of the Appeals Division of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador (supernumerary)
- The Honourable Justice Lois R. Hoegg, judge of the Appeals Division of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador
- The Honourable Justice Gladys I. Pardu, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- The Honourable Justice Gary T. Trotter, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- The Honourable Justice Marina S. Paperny, Court of Appeal of Alberta
- The Honourable Justice Peter W.L. Martin, Court of Appeal of Alberta
- The Honourable Chief Justice Louise A. Charbonneau, Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories
- The Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada (CMACC) is an appellate court composed of judges appointed by the Governor in Council from justices of the Federal Court of Appeal, the Federal Court and the appellate and trial divisions of provincial superior courts.
- The CMACC plays an important role in Canada’s military justice system and benefits from the experience of senior judges from across the country.
- The CMACC has jurisdiction to hear appeals of decisions by Courts Martial, which are military courts established under the National Defence Act.
- Decisions of the CMACC may be appealed on questions of law to the Supreme Court of Canada.
For more information, media may contact:
Office of the Minister of Justice
Department of Justice Canada
Office of the Minister of National Defence
Department of National Defence