Government of Canada launches call for proposals for grants to accelerate action on Sustainable Development Goals
From: Employment and Social Development Canada
Sustainable Development Goals are about meeting people’s needs – for a safe home, a decent job, education for their children, quality health care, and a thriving environment to live in.
May 7, 2019 Gatineau, Québec Employment and Social Development Canada
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is a call to action to work together as a global community to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. The Government of Canada is committed to supporting a whole-of-society approach to Canada’s implementation of the 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by working in partnership with organizations to accelerate progress on this global effort.
Today, the Government of Canada launched a call for proposals on an ongoing basis under the Sustainable Development Goals Funding Program for 2019-2020 to support and leverage the work of stakeholders furthering Canada’s implementation of the 2030 Agenda. Organizations interested in receiving up to $100,000 in grant funding for one-year projects aimed at building awareness, increasing partnerships and networks, and advancing research, are encouraged to apply.
The government is seeking to fund projects that are up to 12 months in duration, and that implement innovative approaches or complement and augment existing activities, in order to achieve two or more of the following objectives in support of the 2030 Agenda:
Enhance multi-stakeholder efforts by promoting partnerships and bridging efforts across sectors;
Raise awareness and support for the SDGs;
Ensure that Canada’s progress on this global effort leaves no one behind, including vulnerable or marginalized groups; and
Foster and integrate Indigenous and local knowledge into approaches and efforts to achieve the 2030 Agenda.
“Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals is not the sole responsibility of one actor, but a shared responsibility. Through the SDG Funding Program, by working in partnership with organizations, and supporting stakeholders to accelerate progress on the SDGs, we will deliver improved outcomes for Canadians, with the aim of leaving no one behind.”
-The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
- In Budget 2018, the Government of Canada announced up to $59.8 million in funding over 13 years ($4.6 million annually), starting in 2018-2019, for programming to support Canada’s implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is a 15-year global framework that was adopted by Canada and all other 192 United Nations Member States in 2015.
- At its heart are the 17 SDGs, 169 targets and more than 230 indicators that encompass the social, economic, and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
- The call for proposals for projects under the Sustainable Development Goals Funding Program for 2019-2020 will remain open until the Department deems the objectives of the intake process have been met.
- An Application Guide is available to assist organizations to complete their submissions. Completed submissions with attachments can be sent through the Grants and Contributions Online Services account, to EDSC.ODD2030-2030SDG.ESDC@servicecanada.ca, or by mail.
Office of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
Media Relations Office
Employment and Social Development Canada