Government Of Canada Provides Support For Key Economic Opportunities In The Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES (November 6, 2007) – The Honourable Chuck Strahl, Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development and Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians, today announced $5 million in funding to support initiatives for the Northwest Territories that will strengthen the local economy by improving local infrastructure and attracting more tourists to the region.
“The Government of Canada is a proud to be investing in projects that meet the needs and address the realities of Northerners,” said Minister Strahl. “Our investment of $3.2 million will support new tourism initiatives that improve the local tourism industry, and our investment of $1.8 million will help to get important infrastructure studies and projects done sooner.”The Government of Canada will assist NWT Tourism to implement activities which align with the marketing priorities in the Government of the Northwest Territories’ Tourism 2010 strategy, including:
– An analysis of outdoor adventure activities;
– A study of the requirements to develop international flight connections;
– An architectural and engineering plan for a tourism waterfront facility in Yellowknife; and
– The development of interpretive centres focused on bison and diamonds.
The Government of Canada will help to enable infrastructure project partners to complete required environmental and engineering studies before projects proceed to the regulatory and permit phase. Funded projects include:
– The proposed expansion of the Taltson River hydro project;
– A potential public-private approach to construction of an all-weather road from Wrigley to Tuktoyaktuk and associated installation of fibre-optic cables;
– Development of improved road access in the Tlicho Region; and
– Urban design, energy, and transportation infrastructure elements of Yellowknife’s Smart Growth Redevelopment Plan.
This announcement reinforces the commitment in the recent Speech from the Throne to advance an integrated Northern Strategy focused on strengthening Canada’s sovereignty, protecting our environmental heritage, promoting economic and social development, and improving and devolving governance. Today’s announcement supports improving economic opportunities and helping to meet the needs of Northerners.
Backgrounder – The Government of Canada Provides Support for Key Economic Opportunities in the Northwest Territories
For further information please contact:
Office of the Honourable Chuck Strahl
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, NWT Region