Government of Canada supports increased research and training opportunities in aerospace and advanced manufacturing
August 2, 2017 – Winnipeg, Manitoba – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Encouraging the global competitiveness of Canada’s aerospace industry is a priority for the Government of Canada. Working with local partners, our area will be benefiting from the creation of well-paying middle class jobs and targeted skills development as a result of a $10 million investment.
This was announced today by the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD), through the Western Diversification Program at Red River College (RRC). These funds will expand the Centre for Aerospace Technology and Training (CATT) and create a new space at RRC’s Notre Dame Campus, dubbed the Smart Factory.
The Government of Canada partnered with the RRC ($1.2 million) and StandardAero ($4.5 million) for a total investment of over $15 million.
The Smart Factory will connect aerospace and other manufacturing organizations with specialized equipment and new technology to support advanced manufacturing processes. This partnership will help students develop the skills to implement new and innovative technologies and prepare them for the jobs of today and tomorrow.
The CATT is an industrial campus co-located at StandardAero, a Winnipeg-based aerospace company, where new processes and materials can be tested without interrupting production flow. It encourages resource-sharing and the use of emerging technologies that will help the aerospace industry grow and create well-paying middle class jobs for Canadians.
“The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring manufacturing and aerospace sectors remain a source of well-paying jobs in Manitoba. By expanding the technological capabilities at Red River College, we are helping to align the needs of industry with the expertise of post-secondary institutions.”
– Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada
“Manitoba’s aerospace sector is globally-competitive and a significant part of our province’s economy, producing and selling products and services valued in excess of $1.6 billion per year. We continue to support the sector’s development of a highly skilled workforce and are pleased to have identified this project as a priority in building the next generation of advanced manufacturing expertise here in Manitoba.”
– Honourable Cliff Cullen, Minister of Growth, Enterprise and Trade for the Province of Manitoba
“These new facilities will put our students and industry partners in aerospace and manufacturing at the forefront of research and training. This is a very strategic investment on the part of the Government of Canada that will help Red River College continue to develop Manitoba-grown industry leaders and innovations.”
– Paul Vogt, President and CEO, Red River College
“We continue to be proud to partner with Red River College on initiatives that build upon the strengths of our industry. Having access to this kind of space and technology helps us to consistently be trailblazers in innovation.”
– Kim Olson, Senior Vice-President, Engineering and Quality, StandardAero
- The CATT is one of three facilities of its kind in North America and a model of collaboration between industry and post-secondary institutions.
- This investment will result in expanded research and training opportunities in areas like robotics, digital manufacturing, and industrial networking.
- Manufacturing is the largest industrial sector in Winnipeg. Manitoba is also home to the third largest aerospace cluster in Canada, employing more than 5,100 people.
- The Western Diversification Program (WDP) is the main program which WD makes strategic investments in initiatives with not-for-profit organizations that enhance and strengthen the economy of Western Canada.
Karl W. Sasseville
Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Director, Policy, Planning and External Relations
Western Economic Diversification Canada