Government of the Northwest Territories finalizes framework for managing recreational leases
YELLOWKNIFE (March 16, 2017) – The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has completed an important step in advancing work to improve its land management practices by releasing the finalized Recreational Leasing Management Framework for the Northwest Territories.
This fulfills the first part of the 18th Legislative Assembly commitment to finalize the Recreational Land Management Framework and the plan for the Yellowknife periphery area.
The framework, now called the Recreational Leasing Management Framework, outlines six goals and associated priorities, which the GNWT is working towards as a means to improve the territorial government’s recreational leasing practices.
The goals are:
- Recognize and respect uses of public lands
- Support recreation management planning in priority areas
- Modernize and clarify leasing practices and processes
- Enhance public awareness and understanding
- Address unauthorized occupancy
- Encourage compliance and strengthen enforcement
The GNWT will continue to consult with Aboriginal governments and engage the public as it moves forward and actions the priorities outlined in the Framework.
“The GNWT encourages the public and Aboriginal governments to continue to provide their valuable insights as we move forward so that we can keep improving coordination and effectiveness in resource management systems, recognizing traditional knowledge, land claim agreements, and devolution.”
– Louis Sebert, Minister of Lands
- The GNWT conducted broad public engagements that included eight public meetings in seven communities across the NWT, and offered online feedback options as well. Industry representatives were also invited to provide feedback.
- The GNWT sought input from, and consulted with, Aboriginal governments and organizations before finalizing the framework.
- The framework was renamed the Recreational Leasing Management Framework to better reflect the document’s leasing focus and applies NWT-wide on both Territorial and Commissioner’s Land managed by the GNWT.
- Yellowknife periphery area recreation management planning is advancing and the GNWT expects to release a draft Recreation Management Plan for the area outside and around Yellowknife, N’dilo, and Detah for public comment during the summer of 2017.
- Once finalized, the recreation management plan will include desired future conditions for recreational use in the study area, objectives and strategies for managing recreational use, and identification of opportunities for recreational cabin leasing. The GNWT will ensure Section 35 Consultation responsibilities are met prior to any decisions to approve the plan.
Recreational Leasing Management Framework – Final
Recreational Leasing Management webpage
Yellowknife periphery area recreational management planning
Senior Communications Officer
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: (867) 767-9182 ext. 24057