Honouring Albertans taking action against violence
March 09, 2018
Leaders from Calgary and southern Alberta have been recognized for preventing family violence, sexual violence, child abuse and bullying.
A total of 14 Inspiration Awards were presented to individuals and groups who demonstrated excellence in areas such as promoting public education about healthy relationships, working across sectors to address violence and partnering with Alberta’s diverse communities.
“Albertans have always stood up for their neighbours and worked together to support those in need. The Inspiration Awards acknowledge community leaders who set an extraordinary example to support those affected by violence and abuse. These awards are a way our government can say thank you for their efforts to make life better for all Albertans.”
Irfan Sabir, Minister of Community and Social Services
Award recipients at a glance
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Milton Iwaasa, of Coaldale.
- Business Leadership Award: Pattison Outdoor Advertising, Calgary.
- Emerging Excellence Awards recognizing youth: John Wenlock, of Claresholm.
- Calgary received 10 awards, Claresholm one, Coaldale one, Lethbridge one and Strathmore one.
- See the biographies of the recipients for more information.
Residents of Alberta, who are aged 13 or older and not related to the nominee, can nominate an individual, a group, a business or a community organization for an Inspiration Award. The Inspiration Awards Selection Committee is made up of cross-ministerial and community partners from a number of sectors, including social services, justice, business and Indigenous relations.
Nominations are measured against the following criteria:
- showing community leadership
- promoting public education of healthy relationships and gender equity
- working in partnership across sectors to address violence
- enhancing access to services and supports
- changing organizational practices
- developing primary prevention strategies
- partnering with Alberta’s diverse communities
Press Secretary, Community and Social Services