- British Columbia NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
- Quebec NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
Inquiry on Grizzly Bears Launched
VANCOUVER, B.C. – SEPTEMBER 8, 2016 The Grizzly Bear Foundation has launched a board of inquiry to review the status and future of grizzly bears in British Columbia. The three person board, whose members include Chairman Michael Audain of Vancouver, Stuart McLaughlin of West Vancouver and Suzanne Veit of Victoria will seek advice and information from a broad group of BC residents and organizations regarding:
• Threats to British Columbia’s grizzly bear population including habitat fragmentation and loss, hunting, food source depletion, climate change, poaching and traffic accidents
• Bear-human interaction, especially on how mutual protection protocols might be developed to reflect the strong and historical relationship between humans and grizzlies in British Columbia
• Ways and means of enhancing the growth of the bear-watching industry in a responsible manner, including the potential for increased employment opportunities
• The future of grizzly bears’ survival in British Columbia.
“The grizzly bears lived in our province many thousands of years before human beings arrived. Their sustainability at the top of the natural food chain is an indicator of a healthy natural environment,” says Inquiry Chairman Michael Audain. “It is, therefore, important that we cherish these animals and safeguard them from extirpation.” The Board of Inquiry will receive input from residents, government managers and scientists, ranchers, hunters, guides and outfitters, conservation organizations, First Nations communities, businesses, and all other interested members of the public. Public hearings will be held in Vancouver, Victoria, Cranbrook, Prince George, Prince Rupert and Fort Nelson. It is anticipated that a report will be presented to the provincial government by January 2017.
The Grizzly Bear Foundation is a registered charity with offices at: 900 – 1333 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6H 4C2.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.