Intergovernmental Meeting between Salt River First Nation and GNWT
Fort Smith (April 11, 2019) – Cabinet Members of the 18th Legislative Assembly, Premier Bob McLeod, Minister Caroline Cochrane and Minister Wally Schumann met with the Salt River First Nation Chief Frieda Martselos, Council members Melvin Fortier, Ray Tourangeau, Chris Hunter and Council members-elect Warren Gagnon and Warren Sikyea in Fort Smith on Monday, April 8th, 2019.
This was the fourth meeting between the Salt River First Nation (SRFN) and the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) since they signed the Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding on August 25, 2015.
The SRFN and GNWT are committed to work together to build a stronger community and a better territory. These meetings are integral to building our government-to-government relationship.
Premier McLeod and Chief Martselos agreed that the intergovernmental meeting was a success; it provided an opportunity to have open and frank discussions on issues that impact the Salt River First Nation, including:
- Taltson Hydro Expansion
- Access to Infrastructure Funding
- Impact of Junior Kindergarten on the Aboriginal Head Start Program
- Education Programming Enhancement Funding
- Renewal of the Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding
SRFN and the GNWT are working collaboratively on the Taltson hydro expansion and will look for ways to enhance educational options for young people through synergies between the Aboriginal Head Start program and Junior Kindergarten.
Finally, the two governments committed to renew their government-to-government relationship through the negotiation of a new intergovernmental agreement.
- Strengthening relationships with Indigenous governments is a priority of the 18th Legislative Assembly.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Salt River First Nation and the GNWT.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least once a year.
For more information, contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories
867- 767-9151, ext. 14032
Acting Chief Executive Officer
Salt River First Nation