KIA: PIJUNNAQSINIQ – Sea mammal hunting on sea ice
March 4-10, 2018
Location: Salliq (Coral Harbour)
This is an exciting opportunity for Inuit men ages 15-29 within the Kivalliq Region who are interested in learning traditional/cultural skills first hand out on the land with elders.
The proposed activities are as follows:
- Land and sea mammal harvesting/hunting skills
- Learning survival skills out on the land
- Traditional Inuit weather observation
- Life skills and healing
- Sakku & harpoon making
- Be an Inuit beneficiary under the Nunavut Land Claim Agreement
- Ability to speak and understand Inuktitut is an asset as Inuktitut will be the language of instruction
- Must have warm hunting clothing/footwear/mitts
- Willing to travel and be away from home for up to one week
- Demonstrate some or all of the following qualities: a passion for learning, interest in Inuit culture; a desire to make a difference, and be an active and responsible person.
- Accept the responsibility to act as an ambassador for his community and region.
Interested Inuit men ages 15-29 from the Kivalliq Region are encouraged to apply by filling out an application form. All travel, accommodation and meals will be provided. If you would like further information please contact Ashley Aupaluktuq-Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 1-867-645-5726 or Toll-Free at 1-800-220-6581.
Application forms are also available at your local KIA CLO office or request one at email@example.com
Deadline to apply is February 27, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. CST
**Only selected applicants will be notified by letter of acceptance**
Funding received from Government of Nunavut, Department of Culture and Heritage.