March 30, 2020 Update to MCFN Membership
March 30, 2020
The Mississaugas of the First Nation (MCFN) Chief and Council and the MCFN COVID-19 Working Group are actively taking precautions and actions to address the potential impacts of COVID-19 in our community. Please see the following updates from the meeting this morning.
- Neighbouring Road Closures – At this point, MCFN will not be restricting access to the community. The team is doing everything that can be done to ensure our community’s safety. This includes allowing emergency services quick and unfettered access to the First Nation. In the event that you experience any issues with the checkpoints/stop points, please contact Arland LaForme, Director of Public Works, at 905-971-2980, or via email at Arland.LaForme@mncfn.ca. Arland will maintain contact with the Six Nations Public Works Department and will advocate for MCFN members.
- On Reserve Establishments – Please note that the MCFN Chief and Council have mandated that all gas bars, variety stores and smoke shops cease operations as of March 30, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. until April 14, 2020.
- Public Works – Please be advised that all solid waste and recycling pickups will remain status quo at this time. Bulk pick up dates of April 22 and April 29 will remain in effect. The Community Clean Up event (and collection bins) scheduled for April will be postponed until further notice. More information will be shared as soon as it is available. For those households scheduled for waterline extension, please note that this construction may be impacted. Please be patient, this is still a priority for the First Nation.
- Rentals, Housing, RRAP and HRRS Payments – Please note that most MCFN offices are closed. At this time, we are requesting people move towards making payments via on-line banking. Recognizing some households may fall into financial hardships during this unforeseen period, housing fees, including rentals, RRAP and HRRS payments will be deferred on an as-needed basis until May 31, 2020. As previously communicated, there will be no late fees, interest and no disconnections during the MCFN organizational closure for water, wastewater and solid waste services.
- Playgrounds and Recreational Services – As a reminder, all MCFN playgrounds and recreational services are deemed closed.
- Organizational Closure – Due to the ongoing pandemic, all MCFN offices will continue to be closed until May 4, 2020. The MCFN COVID-19 Working Group will meet prior to this date to re-evaluate. Essential services as previously designated will remain status quo.
- On-going Communications – People who have consented to sharing their contact information during the Community Wellness Application process shall be included in the upcoming “all call” communication list. We will continue to post updates to the MCFN website – www.mncfn.ca and to our social media pages.
- The MCFN Chief and Council will provide updates to the Membership as information becomes available.
The MCFN Chief and Council and the MCFN COVID-19 Working Group would like to remind everyone to take personal precautions to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community. These include:
- Regular hand washing with soap and warm water or an alcohol-based hand cleanser.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Maintain social distancing and ensure you practice good respiratory hygiene. Cover your cough or sneeze with your bent
- elbow or tissue, then dispose of the tissue immediately.
- Be cognizant of travel advisories and limit your exposure to large gatherings.
- If you feel ill, stay home. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and follow their instructions.
If you experiencing symptoms, contact the following Public Health Offices and follow their instructions:
- Haldimand Norfolk Public Health – 519-426-6170, ext. 9999
- Six Nations Public Health – 519-445-2672
- Six Nations Assessment Centre- 226-446-9909
- Brant County Public Health – 519-753-4937 press 1
- Outside of regular business hours, you can contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.
Please note that MCFN Chief and Council are responsible for making decisions that impact the MCFN Membership. If you have any concerns, please contact any member of the table.