- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Media Advisory – Métis Nation of Ontario Annual General Assembly in Peterborough will focus on Métis rights and self-government
PETERBOROUGH, ON, Aug. 15, 2018 – From August 17-19, 2018, over 400 Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) leaders, citizens and supporters from across Ontario will participate in the 25th MNO Annual General Assembly (AGA) being held at the Showplace Performance Centre at 290 George Street North in Peterborough.
Métis rights, self-government and the celebration of Métis culture and way of life will be the focus of many of the speakers and presentations during the AGA and a complete agenda is enclosed with this media advisory. Highlights will include:
- Starting at 6:00 pm on Thursday, August 16 an event will be held to welcome delegates to the AGA at Beavermead Park. The event will include MNO President Margaret Froh, members of the Provisional Council of the MNO and local Métis leadership, Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett, Status of Women Minister Maryam Monsef and other dignitaries arriving in traditional Métis voyageur canoes as well as a concert from award-winning Métis artist Amanda Rheaume.
- Minister Monsef, Peterborough Mayor Daryl Bennett, Peterborough Kawartha MPP Dave Smith, Métis National Council President Clément Chartier and Curve Lake First Nation Chief Phyllis Williams will be among the dignitaries bringing greetings during the opening ceremonies the morning of Friday, August 17;
- The State of the Nation will be delivered by MNO President Margaret Froh the morning of Friday, August 17;
- Métis cultural activities and workshops are being held the afternoon of Saturday, August 18 at the Canadian Canoe Museum at 910 Monaghan Road.
For further information: Mike Fedyk, MNO Director of Communications, 613-314-9402 (cell)
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.