You can use your smart phone to browse stories in the comfort of your hand. Simply browse this site on your smart phone.

    Using an RSS Reader you can access most recent stories and other feeds posted on this network.

    SNetwork Recent Stories

Metis Sixties Scoop survivors left out of settlement payment – StarPhoenix

by ahnationtalk on October 11, 201744 Views

October 11, 2017

A Sixties Scoop expert who included her own childhood in 14 foster homes in her doctoral thesis is among the Metis survivors who have been left out of the federal government’s compensation announcement.

“I was sick to my stomach,” Dr. Jacqueline Maurice said of learning that only Treaty First Nations people and Inuit are slated to receive compensation from a $750 million package announced last week by Carolyn Bennett, minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.

“To me it’s not about the monetary compensation. It is about acknowledgment. To exclude a critical group who was directly impacted by the Sixties Scoop is a revictimization, a retraumatization,” she said.

“Once again, we are silenced, we are excluded. It’s like our experience doesn’t have the weight or the credibility that (Treaty) Indians and Inuit have,” Maurice said.

Read More: http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/metis-sixties-scoop-survivors-left-out-of-payment-settlement

Send To Friend Email Print Story

Comments are closed.

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More