MOU Signing Ceremony Ministry of Education and Tungasuvvingat Inuit
Tungasuvvingat Inuit cordially invites you to attend the Signing Ceremony with Ministry of Education MOU with Tungasuvvingat Inuit.
When: November 27, 2017 at 12 P.M to 2 P.M.
Where: John B. Aird Gallery in Macdonald Block, 900 Bay Street Toronto, ON
Occasion: Province’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Ministry of Education and Tungasuvvingat Inuit
Light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP your attendance to Paani Zizman at email@example.com or by calling 613-565-5885 ext. 223 by Nov. 24.
The MOU is intended to provide a framework to support the shared goals of TI and the Ministry, namely, to:
- Improve academic achievement of Inuit students;
- Improve well-being of Inuit students and their families;
- Support Inuit learners from kindergarten through to secondary education;
- Protect and promote the culture, identity and heritage of Inuit in Ontario;
- Strengthen relations between the province and the Inuit of Ontario to ensure that Inuit students in Ontario are receiving equitable supports to succeed;
- Build on recent collaborative work in a manner pursuant to the Ontario First Nation, Métis and Inuit Education Policy Framework and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action; and,
- Support all learners to understand and heighten their awareness of Inuit history, culture and rights.
By signing the MOU, the ministry will formalize its working relationship with TI, an Inuit-specific provincial, Ottawa-based charitable organization.
Acting as a one-stop resource centre, TI provides Ontario’s Inuit community with more than 20 integrated front-line services, including social support, cultural activities, counselling and crisis intervention. Beyond its role as a resource centre, TI provides a voice for the significant and growing Inuit population in Ontario. TI’s leadership in advocacy and service delivery will undoubtedly provide an invaluable resource for the ministry in its work to strengthen support for Indigenous learners.