- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
NT Government: Mediator Releases Binding Recommendations
The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has received the report from mediator Vince Ready that incorporates his binding recommendations and other matters agreed to by the parties during mediation.
Following the mediation which concluded on February 10, 2019, the GNWT and the Union of Northern Workers (UNW) agreed to a process for submitting outstanding issues to Mr. Ready for binding recommendations.
Now that the mediator’s report has been received, the GNWT will be following up with the UNW to discuss implementation of the new collective agreement.
“Negotiating a new collective agreement can be difficult under ideal conditions. The current fiscal and economic environment provided additional challenges. I would like to thank Vince Ready for his work in helping to resolve the outstanding issues.”
-Robert C. McLeod, Minister of Finance
- The collective agreement will be for a five‐year term commencing April 1, 2016 with no monetary increases in the first two years. Salary increases for the final three years include 1.6% effective April 1, 2018, 2.3% effective April 1, 2019, and 2.5% effective April 1, 2020.
Other elements of the agreement include the following.
- Increase of $250 to the base for the Northern Allowance effective April 1, 2018.
- Expansion to situations where relief employees may be used to include circumstances where services are provided on an as-and-when basis.
- Term employees to be converted to indeterminate status after 24 months in the same position in most circumstances.
- Change to lay-off provisions including a new Memorandum of Understanding on Voluntary Separation
- The addition of three days of paid leave for employees experiencing domestic violence to attend appointments with professionals, legal proceedings, or engage in other necessary activities to support their health and safety.
- Change to parental leave to support employees that choose the new extended parental leave option under Employment Insurance (EI).
- A new Memorandum of Understanding on Mental Health, including a commitment to commence work to implement the National Standard for Psychological Health in the Workplace.
Senior Communications Officer
Tel: (867) 767-9151 ext. 14032
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.