- British Columbia NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
NT Government: New programs open doors to new career pathways for Indigenous northerners
October 9, 2018
Today, the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is pleased to introduce two new initiatives that make it easier for Indigenous northerners to access training and gain valuable on-the-job experience.
The Indigenous Career Gateway Program (ICGP) is intended for NWT residents who are designated Indigenous Aboriginal Persons, under the GNWT Affirmative Action Policy. who are interested in a career with the territorial government. The Department of Finance will work closely with departments to create entry level positions and to develop individualized training plans for successful applicants. This initiative supports the GNWT’s priority to develop and maintain a diverse workforce that is representative of the people it serves. Interested applicants for these positions will be able to apply through the GNWT Careers Website.
In addition, the GNWT has launched the Indigenous Management Development and Training Program (IMDTP) that provides the necessary skills training and/or work experience for career advancement of existing GNWT employees who are designated as Indigenous Aboriginal Persons. This program will provide financial support to departments, beyond existing training and education programs, to support Indigenous employees. Interested employees will be encourage to work with their managers to identify education and training opportunities that could be supported through this new initiative.
“These new initiatives builds on our existing programs and services and will help achieve our commitment to a having a public service that is representative of the peoples it serves. We continue to be proactive in supporting the people of the North to enhance their skills and abilities and provide opportunities to help our residents accomplish their career goals.”
-Robert C. McLeod, Minister of Finance
- The ICGP and IMDTP are intended for Indigenous Aboriginal residents of the NWT, as defined under the GNWT’s Affirmative Action Policy.
- Potential ICGP candidates may apply by submitting their resumes for consideration through the GNWT’s careers website.
- Successful candidates can be hired into positions on a one-year casual contract or as a two year trainee position.
- The IMDTP provides GNWT departments, boards and agencies with access to additional financial support to provide existing Indigenous Aboriginal employees with new training opportunities.
- The GNWT provides a range of recruitment and development programs that create opportunities for NWT residents including the Internship program, the Summer Student program, and the Regional Recruitment program. These programs in addition to workforce development initiatives including the Leadership Development program support diversity and inclusion in the public service.
- The GNWT was recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for the sixth consecutive year in 2018.
- Open Advertisement for ICGP
- Indigenous Management Training and Development Program
- GNWT Affirmative Action Policy
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2018), Government of the Northwest Territories
- Careers with the GNWT
For more information:
Senior Communications Officer
Shared Corporate Services, Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories 867-767-9151 ext. 14032
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.