Ontario Supporting Aquaculture Industry in Manitoulin
Province Netting New Local Jobs
May 15, 2019
Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines
Ontario’s government is working for the people by investing in Manitoulin’s local aquaculture industry, creating four full-time jobs.
“We’re helping local businesses create good jobs and do work that supports Manitoulin’s growing aquaculture industry,” said Greg Rickford, Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines.
Ontario is investing more than $1.2 million in three businesses:
- John O Foods is receiving $1 million to develop a freshwater caged trout aquaculture system in partnership with Sheshegwaning First Nation.
- Meeker Management Services is receiving $156,000 to develop its StormSafe product, which protects farmed fish from ice and storms.
- Caselton Aquaculture is receiving $66,000 for new equipment.
“Supporting local businesses creates opportunities, diversifies the economy and, most importantly, lets people know that Ontario is open for business and open for jobs,” said Minister Rickford.
- Since June 2018, the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation has invested more than $63 million in 501 projects, creating or retaining over 772 jobs.
- Ontario’s commercial aquaculture industry generates $110 million a year.
Media Advisor, Communications Branch