PAMA: What’s on in July
July 10, 2017
Your FREE Summer Staycation Destination
his July, PAMA has an action packed July schedule which provides the chance for everyone to explore, create and connect this summer! Explore new exhibitions like Peel 150: Stories of Canada and Walk the Art: steAm (intersection of science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics) plus all of our wonderful hands-on permanent exhibitions. Lots of options for PAMA kids and families on tap including a whole month of PAMA Kids camps with new themes each week. Plus don’t forget about our monthly Family Fun Days, this month we celebrate Canada 150. Enjoy a fun night out with friends or a unique date night idea and join in on the Art of Yoga, learn to knit, catch a Curator tour, participate in Aboriginal Drumming Circle or collaborate in a Text Art Workshop.
NEW SUMMER EXHIBITIONS
Peel 150: Stories of Canada, On now until October 15 – Explore thousands of Peel treasures from our art, archives, and museum collections and the powerful work of artist James Simon Mishibinijima: Residential School Paintings and Seven Grandfather Teachings. This year we celebrate Peel & Canada 150. Join us to explore PAMA’s to discover who we are as a community: past, present, and future.
Walk the Art: STEAM,in partnership with Peel District School Board, On now until September 17 – This exhibition showcases the creative visions of the high school students from the Peel District School Board, and how they use the intersection of science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics – steAm – to define and redefine the possibilities of our future.
JULY PROGRAMS AND EVENTS
Family Fun Activity: Weekends, 1 – 4 p.m. – In celebration of the 150th birthday of Canada, make your own 3D Canada Globe. Guide your family through art projects each month and the best part is we provide the activity, supplies and space to get creative.
Knit@PAMA: Thursdays, 6 – 8 p.m. – This gathering of beginner and experienced knitters meet once a week to create items that are all donated to charitable organizations in the Peel community. Supplies and knitting instructions are provided by PAMA.This summer they submitted a fantastic yarn bombed Canada 150 chair as part of Brampton’s Muskoka Chair Project. They also have been knitting maple leaf pins and selling them at PAMA, with proceeds going towards PAMA’s learning fund. Donations provide Peel student access to arts and culture programming at PAMA.
The Art of Yoga (16+): Thursday, July 6, 7 – 8:30 p.m. – Need relaxation? Join the art of yoga and let it all go. Please bring your own yoga matt. All skill levels welcome. Inspiration for each yoga practice will be based on current art gallery exhibitions.
Peel 150 Stories of Canada Curator Tour and Talk: July 9, 2 – 3:30 p.m. – Join PAMA Museum Curator Annemarie Hagan for a tour of some of the engaging and unusual stories found in our feature Canada 150 exhibition. Have a chance to share YOUR Peel stories too!
PAMA Kids Summer Camp (Kids 6 – 12): 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – School’s almost out, it’s not too late to create lasting memories for your camper this summer! PAMA kids will have the opportunity to listen and talk with Art Gallery, Museum and Archive professionals, visit exhibitions, have some outdoor fun at Gage Park and on the PAMA grounds, not to mention get CREATIVE!
- July 10 – 14: Around the World – Explore arts and crafts from around the world. Join in the activities that celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday!
- July 17 – 21: Strange Things – Let’s get innovative with technology art for young inventors and engineers. Enjoy a week of experimentation while developing your mechanical art skills. Bridge building included.
- July 24 – 28: Sound Art – Make noise and listen to the art of sound in this musical week of fun. Create moving sculpture, enjoy a sound walk, and listen to the art of spoken word in a week of good vibrations.
- July 31 – August 4: Rock, Paper, Scissors – Trek out on this rocking geological adventure where campers get to identify and catalogue their very own collections of gems and minerals. We will explore local architecture, trees and rock art, while examining the materials of art and design.
Family Fun Day: Saturday, July 15 from 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Family time adventures happen here and this month is all about celebrating Canada 150!
- Family Art and Yoga: 1 – 2:30 p.m. – Learn yoga movements and explore our art buffet for exploratory learning at its best. Space is limited, arrive early.
- Family Art and Stories: 2:45 – 3:45 p.m. – This program is designed to engage and inspire younger children through hands-on activities and stories.
- Family Tour: 4 – 4:30 p.m. – Discover more! Meet us in the Museum Lobby for a special family-friendly tour.
- Family Fun Activity and Colouring Room: Drop-in, all day long
Peel Aboriginal Network (PAN) Drumming Circle: Thursday, July 20 – Join an evening of shared traditions and songs.
Artists Open Studio: Thursday, July 27, 6 – 8:30 p.m. – Calling all artists and art lovers to come together to work in an open studio setting. Come work independently, share or collaborate in this supportive studio environment. All art forms are welcome. Please bring your own supplies, no solvent based materials.
Text Art Workshop: Sunday, July 30, 1 – 3 p.m. – Express yourself through text. Join this creative workshop where you will make a text based artwork using illustrative and collage techniques. Members, $29.75 and Non-Members, $35. Pre-registration is required.