QIA Accepting 2018-2019 Scholarship applications
June 27, 2018
The Qikiqtani Inuit Association (QIA) is now accepting applications for all our 2018-2019 post-secondary scholarships. This year we will have a unified easy to navigate online application form for all our scholarships.
Last year, QIA launched $200,000 in new scholarships in addition to its existing $5,000/year John Amagoalik Scholarship. The 80 QIA scholarships at $2,500/year, are awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis to students from the Qikiqtani Region pursuing post-secondary education.
The $5,000 John Amagoalik Scholarship honours the efforts of John Amagoalik towards the betterment of Inuit in Nunavut. QIA will prioritize applications from post-secondary students entering a field that promotes Inuit language and culture.
By using the new online QIA scholarship application, students can apply for one or both ofthese scholarships. Please note, in order to submit your application all supporting documents are required to be included.
“I’m proud of our QIA scholarships,” says QIA president P.J. Akeeagok, “these scholarships are an investment in the future of Inuit because they give young people the tools they need to succeed in the future.”
The deadline for applications is Friday, August 17 th , 2018.
Criteria for both Scholarships:
- Applicants must have a valid Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. card and be Inuit under the Nunavut Agreement in the Qikiqtani Region
- Students must be permanent residents in one of the 13 Qikiqtani communities – exceptions are made for students living in other locations while enrolled as a full-time post-secondary student
- Students must provide proof of enrollment in a post-secondary academic institution
- Your Social Insurance Number
Additional criteria for the John Amagoalik Scholarship:
- Students must be enrolled in a post-secondary academic institution, preferably in a
field that promotes Inuit language and culture for the September and January
- A 500-word essay on how you feel your aspirations are influenced by John Amagoalik and the Nunavut Agreement
- A recent resume
- Copies of most recent transcripts
- Two reference letters preferably from a teacher, professor or employer who has closely worked with you
Students must maintain a full course load and a passing grade point average in order to receive the scholarships.
The online application can be accessed here: qia.ca/scholarship-application
If students need assistance with the completion of the QIA scholarships application, they can
contact their local QIA Community Liaison Officer.
For more information contact:
Sima Sahar Zerehi,
Director of Communications,
Qikiqtani Inuit Association
867.975.8413 or 1.800.667.2742