- Ontario NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
S’Cool Life Fund Gives $228,663 To Elementary Schools Across Canada
Canadian charitable organization funds 85 DREAMS – Drama, Recreation,Extracurricular, Arts, Music and Sports
TORONTO, – Sept. 14 – For 85 elementary schools across the country, the first assembly of the year will be one to remember. From percussion instruments and hockey uniforms to swimming lessons and drama classes, S’Cool Life Fund is excited to present schools with the necessary funding for the equipment and programs that captivate the imaginations of students and make learning a more fun and rewarding experience. Starting September 14, representatives from S’Cool Life Fund and Priszm Income Fund will be arriving at schools across Canada to officially award students and staff with their S’Cool Life Fund grant.”Over the past four years, S’Cool Life Fund has raised more than $2 million to enrich the learning environment of students,” said chairman, John I. Bitove. “This year we funded 85 incredible activities and projects and in 2010 our goal is to double the number of grants. In light of the recent funding cuts, every school in this country could use a new playground or sporting equipment or musical instruments and we encourage faculty members and parent advisory groups to apply today for one of these great gifts.”
Since S’Cool Life Fund’s inception in 2005, 418 schools have been awarded grants in support of students’ DREAMS – Drama, Recreation, Extracurricular, Arts, Music and Sports. Highlights from this year’s grants include:
– St. Andrews Elementary – Miramichi, NB – a unique addition to this year’s gifts, S’Cool Life Fund donated $39,800 for the construction of a new playground. The school was built on an old mill site and significant debris prevented students from having a safe place to run and play. St. Andrews playground now has a level playing field with new grass and a chain link fence to facilitate a variety of sports games and physical activities.
– Forest Grove Elementary – Forest Grove, B.C. – a drumming set to bring musical enjoyment and encourage communication, teamwork and respect amongst students that were forced to deal with the school’s three-year closure in 2004.
– Angik School – Paulatuk, NT – a variety of resources such as paint brushes, sports uniforms and fitness equipment to support five after school programs that will aim to improve and encourage regular classroom attendance.
– C R Judd Public School – Capreol, ON – a variety of props, stage decorations, costumes and music for the school’s annual lip sync contest that gives students the opportunity to exercise their imagination and creativity and have fun with their classmates.
– École Victor-Brodeur – Victoria, B.C. – a set of tatami mats for the practice of martial arts to promote an increase in students’ brain activity and concentration skills.
– King George School – Brandon, MB – African and Aboriginal percussion instruments to provide the multicultural and low socio-economic student population with an opportunity to experience musical education.
– École du Châtelet – Quebec, QC – for a school that is taught exclusively by females, football equipment and uniforms to allow male students to participate in the sport and be coached and encouraged by positive male role models.
– George Webster Elementary School – Toronto, ON – equipment and ice time for a volunteer-coached hockey program to introduce immigrant and refugee students at this inner-city school to the quintessential Canadian sport.
The S’Cool Life Fund cheque presentations will be held across Canada on September 14, 21 and 28. Media are welcome to attend the ceremonies, document the occasion and join in the celebration with students, staff and parents.
Grant applications for the 2009/2010 school year will be available online from September 14 to December 31, 2009. For further information on S’Cool Life Fund and how to request support for your school’s DREAMS, public elementary school teachers, principals, and volunteer parent advisory groups across Canada can visit http://www.scoollifefund.ca
About S’Cool Life Fund
S’Cool Life Fund raises funds and donates grants to public elementary school (K to 8) for extracurricular activities and programs to help kids have a more fun and well-rounded school experience. The Fund is supported by Priszm Income Fund (owner and operator of more than 400 quick service restaurants under the KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell brands), XM Canada and Scott’s Real Estate Investment Trust. Since 2005, Priszm Income Fund has raised more than $2 million in charitable donations in support of S’Cool Life Fund. For more information, please visit http://www.scoollifefund.ca
For further information: about S’Cool Life Fund, please contact: Lynsey Brothers, Wilcox Group at (416) 203-6666 ext. 228, lbrothers[at]wilcoxgroup.com Note to editors: for a list of school recipients in your province or territory, please contact us at (416) 203-6666 or visit www.scoollifefund.ca
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.