The Whole Country Will Shine During Christmas Lights Across Canada
OTTAWA, December 7, 2017
To close Canada 150 in style, Canada’s capital cities will shine bright thanks to the 33rd annual Christmas Lights Across Canada. People of all ages are invited to admire the dazzling lightscapes that will bring the spirit of the holiday season. The event is presented by Manulife, exclusive sponsor of this event.
Canada’s Capital Region will light up this evening with an illumination ceremony beginning at 7 p.m. on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. The ceremony will feature musical performances by Juno Award-winner Jess Moskaluke and Céleste Lévis. A projection of the Winter Lightscapes show on the façade of the Centre Block and a colourful pyrotechnics show will add to the magic.
In other parts of the country, several capital cities are kicking off their Christmas Lights Across Canada celebrations tonight:
- Edmonton will switch on 140,000 lights at 5 p.m. in front of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.
- In Yellowknife, celebrations will get underway at 5 p.m. in the Grand Hall of the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories, where a student choir will entertain the crowd with Christmas carols.
- Iqaluit will turn on more than 100,000 lights at 5 p.m. in front of the Legislative Assembly, during a joyful ceremony featuring food tastings and live entertainment.
- St. John’s will welcome residents and visitors to a ceremony in front of the Confederation Building beginning at 6 p.m.
- Victoria, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Québec City, Fredericton, Halifax and Charlottetown have already turned on their Christmas lights and are well into the holiday spirit.
- Whitehorse will join the rest of Canada on December 9 with a colourful ceremony featuring the lighting of a 50-foot Christmas tree.
“Christmas Lights Across Canada is a wonderful opportunity for Canadians to gather with friends and family and experience the magic of this holiday season favourite. As we count down the final moments of Canada 150, I invite Canadians from across the country to come out and admire the millions of twinkling lights that will illuminate our capital cities from coast to coast to coast.”
—The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage
- Christmas Lights Across Canada is one of the many events taking place in December to close Canada 150 in style.
- This is the 33rd edition of Christmas Lights Across Canada.
- Canada’s Capital Region will be illuminated from December 7, 2017, to January 7, 2018.
- Manulife is the exclusive sponsor of Christmas Lights Across Canada.
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage