Toronto 2017 North American Indigenous Games Partners with the Weather Network
TORONTO 2017 NORTH AMERICAN INDIGENOUS GAMES PARTNERS WITH THE WEATHER NETWORK
One of Canada’s most influential brands forecasts amazing Games
Toronto, ON – The Toronto 2017 North American Indigenous Games (Toronto 2017 NAIG) Host Society announced Thursday that The Weather Network has been named official weather partner for the international sport and cultural event taking place July 16-23, 2017.
As the official weather partner for the ninth edition of the Games, The Weather Network will provide forecasts for the days leading up to the eight-day event and throughout the games for the sixteen competition venues and two cultural festival sites. Editorial content on The Weather Network and French-language counterpart MétéoMédia’s TV and digital properties will highlight some of the more than 5,000 athletes competing in the Games on the road to athletic success, in addition to the environment and climate change in First Nations communities across Canada. The Weather Network will broadcast live on location during the week of the Games, highlighting events, athletes and celebrating Indigenous cultures.
Leading up to the games, the Toronto 2017 NAIG Community Tour, continues on April 13 and will make more than a dozen stops to showcase Indigenous sport and culture alongside the Aboriginal Sport and Wellness Council of Ontario (ASWCO). The Weather Network and MétéoMédia will provide editorial coverage along parts of the tour.
Toronto 2017 NAIG continues to align itself with exceptional partners. The Weather Network parent company Pelmorex Media Inc. has been named one of Canada 50 Best Managed Companies for ten consecutive years. And recently, The Weather Network has been named in the top five among Canadian owned brands in the Ipsos Reid Most Influential Brands Study for the fifth consecutive year.
Athletes, volunteers and visitors to the 2017 North American Indigenous Games can quickly and easily access reliable and local weather information from The Weather Network on television and web as well as mobile devices with apps available from the App Store or Google Play.
“In addition to providing world-class weather forecasting before and throughout the Games, The Weather Network is also recognized as one of the top brands in Canada – elevating the many stories of inspiration and success that will come from the thousands of Indigenous youth. Through our partnership with The Weather Network, we look forward to providing our participants and spectators with the most accurate weather forecast in order to fully enjoy the Toronto 2017 NAIG.”
-Marcia Trudeau, CEO Toronto 2017 North American Indigenous Games
“We’re proud to partner with the Toronto 2017 North American Indigenous Games to showcase such a wonderful event with a long history of sportsmanship and strong cultural traditions to
Canadians across the country. As a strong supporter of youth mental wellness programs, we’re
proud to partner with such a great organization because of all the good work they are doing for the community and Indigenous young people.”
-Pierre Morrissette, President and CEO of Pelmorex Media Inc., parent company of The Weather Network.
Toronto 2017 NAIG Quick Facts
- From July 16-23, 2017, the Toronto 2017 North American Indigenous Games (Toronto 2017 NAIG) are expected to be the largest sporting and cultural gathering of Indigenous Peoples in North America. The Toronto 2017 NAIG will host more than 5,000 participants, and thousands of spectators for 14 sport competitions being held within world-class venues located across the Greater Toronto Area, including the Region of Hamilton and Six Nations of the Grand River.
- The 14 core sports of the Toronto 2017 NAIG include: 3-D Archery; Athletics; Badminton; Baseball; Basketball; Canoe/Kayak; Golf; Lacrosse; Rifle Shooting; Soccer; Softball; Swimming; Wrestling; Volleyball.
- Equally important, Toronto 2017 NAIG will host a week-long cultural festival at two sites open to the public, showcasing a variety of Indigenous artists, traditional learning, vendors, food, cultural performances and nightly entertainment.
- Participating teams represent all 13 provinces and territories of Canada, as well as up to 13 regions from the United States; more than 5,000 athletes are expected to participate.
- More than 2,100 volunteers have already signed up to be involved with NAIG 2017 through www.naig2017.to/en/getinvolved.
- The Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario, have each committed $3.5 million to help fund the 2017 Games, in recognition of the NAIG as an important agent in promoting Indigenous sport development and recreation in Canada.
- The Aboriginal Sport and Wellness Council of Ontario (ASWCO), in collaboration with the City of Toronto and Government of Ontario, won the bid to host NAIG 2017. As the sole rights holder, ASWCO created Toronto 2017 NAIG Host Society, a separate corporation to manage and operate the Games.
- Net proceeds from NAIG 2017 will be directed to a Legacy Fund, aimed at providing increased sport, health and wellness programming, services and equipment to Indigenous youth across the Province of Ontario.
Toronto 2017 NAIG Host Society honours the traditional lands and homelands on which the 2017 North American Indigenous Games will take place. We honour and thank the Huron-Wendat Nation, Metis Nation of Ontario, Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation and Six Nations of the Grand River as our community partners and traditional inhabitants of the lands of the City of Toronto, Region of Hamilton, Durham Region and surrounding areas.
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Celebrating 28 years, Pelmorex Media Inc. is the parent company of The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, Eltiempo.es and Wetterplus.de. Pelmorex operates in North America, Europe, LATAM, India and Australia. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada’s most popular weather and information services on TV, web and mobile apps. Eltiempo is Spain’s leading multi-platform weather information provider. Pelmorex also operates Canada’s National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies.
Director, Marketing and Communications
Toronto 2017 NAIG Host Society
Corporate Communications Specialist
The Weather Network/MétéoMédia
905-829-1159 ext. 1358