Water Stewardship Minister Congratulates 26 Recipients Of Long Service Fisher Award
April 18, 2008
– – –
Unique Award Recognizes Manitobans With 50 Years Commercial Fishing Experience
Water Stewardship Minister Christine Melnick today congratulated this year’s 26 recipients of Manitoba’s Long Service Fisher Award.“The Long Service Fisher Award recognizes the contribution of Manitobans who have harvested fish in this province for 50 years or more,” said Melnick. “The recipients of this award have made a lifelong cultural and economic contribution to our province and I’m honoured to recognize their accomplishments.”
The minister thanked the Manitoba Commercial Inland Fishers Federation (MCIFF) for its work as a partner in organizing the award.
The awards will be presented at a dinner hosted by Melnick at the MCIFF’s annual general meeting at Lakeview Resort in Gimli tomorrow. Manitobans with 50 years or more of commercial fishing experience are eligible to receive the award that recognizes long-term contributions to the province’s commercial fishing industry.
The commercial fishery is important to the economies of many northern communities and contributes more than $50 million annually to the provincial economy.
On behalf of the MCIFF, the minister will also assist in the presentation of an Exceptional Contribution Award to recognize fishers from around the province who have made significant and long-term contributions to the commercial fishing industry.
There are more than 3,200 commercially-licensed fishers and their employees in the province, the vast majority of who are of First Nation, Métis or Icelandic descent.
The Long Service Fisher Award recipients for 2008 are:
· George “Oscar” Anderson – Leaf Rapids
· Leslie Bushie – Hollow Water
· Fred David – Victoria Beach
· Daniel Dumas – Crane River
· Gordon Goodman – Gimli
· Allan Isfeld – Gimli
· Johann Benedick Johnson – Riverton
· Frankie Kenyon – Gypsumville
· Albert Lambert Sr. – Moose Lake
· Douglas Lambert – Moose Lake
· David Lathlin – Moose Lake
· Raymond Lathlin – Opaskwayak
· Charlie Lavallee – Opaskwayak
· Norman Moneyas – Wanipigow
· Victor Nordal – Lundar
· Theo Sanderson – Moose Lake
· Wilson Scott – Wanipigow
· John Selkirk – Pine Dock
· Teddy Seymour – Wanipigow
· Flovent J. Sigfusson – Oakview
· Lawrence Smith – Scanterbury
· Mark Traverse – Gypsumville
· Jim Valiquette – Poplar River
· Marcel Valiquette – Poplar River
· Raymond Valiquette – Poplar River
· Nicholas C. Zahorodny – St. Andrews
The Exceptional Contribution Award recipients are Maurice Blanchard of Portage la Prairie, Ken Campbell and Gordon Goodman of Gimli and Nicholas C. Zahorodny of St. Andrews.
– 30 –