National Gathering on Unmarked Burials: Upholding Indigenous Law
Hosted by the Independent Special Interlocutor
When and where
Date and time
Mon, Mar 27, 2023, 12:00 PM – Wed, Mar 29, 2023, 5:00 PM EDT
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel 123 Queen Street West Toronto, ON M5H 2M9 Canada
About this event
• Registration required, no cost
• Maximum capacity of 350 attendees for this Gathering
• Registration opens January 20th.
What is included:
• Conference Attendance
• Welcome Gathering and Dinner on Monday, March 27th
• Breakfast and lunch provided
• Cultural sharing
• Mental Health and Cultural Supports
Who should attend:
• Survivors and Intergenerational Survivors
• Indigenous Leadership
• Communities leading or Interested in leading Searches and Investigations for Missing Children
• Indigenous Elders and Knowledge Holders who carry knowledge about Indigenous legal principles, processes, systems and structures relating to the search and recovery of unmarked burials and missing children.
Hotel details will be posted on https://osi-bis.ca.
Organizer of National Gathering on Unmarked Burials: Upholding Indigenous Law
The OSI will host seven National Gatherings across Canada over the course of its two year mandate to discuss and engage with Indigenous Peoples on these important matters. These gatherings are part of the overall engagement process between the Independent Special Interlocutor and Indigenous Peoples, their organizations and their communities.
Each National Gathering will have a unique focus, such as legal implications, supporting families, available searching technologies, etc.