- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
The First Nations Financial Management Board (the FMB) is Canada’s only legislated body that develops and publishes First Nations Financial Management and Financial Performance Standards and upon request certifies First Nations compliance to those standards. The FMB is an Aboriginal institution that provides a suite of financial management tools and services to First Nations governments seeking to strengthen their fiscal stewardship and accountability regime and develop necessary capacity to meet their expanding fiscal and financial management requirements.
The FMB is one of the First Nation institutions created through the First Nations Fiscal Management Act (FMA). This federal legislation is designed primarily to provide participating First Nations with the tools and capacity needed to facilitate their participation in long-term pooled borrowing through the Capital Markets — on a similar basis as other governments in Canada — to support their social and economic development objectives.
Reporting to the Senior Finance Officer, the Accounting Assistant assists the Accounting Department with general administration, ensuring alignment with the intentions of the FMB Board of Directors. The AA works with multiple platforms creating and managing folders, entering
and verifying data, coding invoices, reconciling claims and statements.
The AA is primarily an internally focused position, however, as requested, this position may liaise and build relationships with various external stakeholders, partners, organizations and individuals.
In collaboration with the Corporate Services Team and all business lines, the AA is responsible for the success of the First Nations Financial Management Board (“FMB”).
The Accounting Assistant is primarily an internally focused position, however as requested, this position may liaise and build relationships with various external stakeholders, partners, organizations, and individuals.
- Oversees third party contractors and suppliers to ensure delivery of professional and applicable business line services
- Provides strong, effective and highly visible team collaboration, is motivated and contributes fully to the realization of FMB’s vision, mission, and objectives
- Promotes and maintains a workplace culture that encourages ethical practices, individual integrity and economic and social responsibility
- Conducts role related internal training on policies, processes, procedures and operational support services
- Matches receipts and invoices to statements, codes transactions, calculates GST rebates and prepares associated journal entries
- Monitors expense claim reimbursement accounts
- Assists with cheque requisitions including verifying and posting invoices
- Assists with data management systems including folder creation, document scanning, data entry
- Monitors 3’ᵈ party contractor payments including verifying invoices and entering data
- Activates, deactivates and archives files, assists with offsite storage and file destruction requirements
- Coordinates workshop reimbursements including cheque requisitions, document scanning and storage
- Provides general business line administrative assistance including standardizing documentation, distributing mail.
The Accounting Assistant performs other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent;
- Minimum of three (3) years experience In an accounting role, preferably within a not for profit or similar environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly in a rapidly changing environment with excellent attention to detail;
- May have experience with Sage 50, Sage 300;
- Experience working with information and data management systems;
- Experience working with and/or contracting external vendors and consultants an asset;
- Experience working with Indigenous Governments, organizations, and communities an asset;
- Must have an understanding, awareness and appreciation of Indigenous culture and history;
- Willing to participate in ongoing education and training for the role;
- Willingness to participate in ongoing education and training for the role including Indigenous Cultural studies;
- Must be fluent in English (spoken and written), French language is considered an asset.
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- Conveys information, both verbally and written, with confidence, consistency, effectiveness, and clarity, using active listening techniques to effectively understand and increase understanding.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in technical and administrative knowledge to achieve a high level of performance;
- Keeps informed about current and future trends in relevant areas.
- Ability to adapt and respond to the changing environment and to constructively create opportunities for change through active participation;
- Embraces change and demonstrates a willingness to learn new skills and processes.
Discretion and confidentiality
- Respects the confidentiality of information, spoken and written in confidence and refrains from sharing with others except on a need to know basses and with permission from the CEO;
- Demonstrates skills of discretion and judgement when carrying out duties.
Detailed and organized
- Responsive in a fast-paced environment; follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data; concentrates on routine work details; organizes and maintains a system of records;
• Ability to manage multiple projects and determine project urgency in a practical way; uses goals to guide actions; creates detailed action plans; organizes and schedules people and tasks effectively.
- This position is based in West Vancouver, BC
What We Offer
- Salary and annual bonus eligibility;
- Flexible 37.5-hour work week
- Employer paid extended benefits;
- Matching group RRSP contributions;
- Annual vacation allowance and generous paid stat & non-stat days;
- Work-life balance;
- Professional development & career growth opportunities.
FMB is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of all First Nations and people across Canada. We are an inclusive organization that treats all employees equally. As a First Nations Organization, applicants of Indigenous descent are highly encouraged to apply.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: