Date: Sep 20, 2021
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
43399 – Mississauga – Regular –
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Assist with the collection, validation, estimating and editing of meter and network data related to the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) LAN/WAN technologies protocol for the Smart Meter and Network Operation Department. Participate in the support and maintenance of the AMI, LAN/WAN, communications. Evaluate new or modified software or hardware products. Design and write software programs to meet specific requirements, including programming, testing, documenting and implementation. Participate in studies relating to computer/network hardware and software efficiency and reliability. Assist or participate in other data collection and network support type work.
- Maintain less complex facility software; such as LAN/WAN facilities software, firmware and other AMI and telecom enabled applications by applying corrections, generating new versions, adjusting parameters and making modifications in order to improve performance and simplify use.
- Assist in the evaluation of new or revised AMI network products hardware and software. Assist in the performance of studies to determine applicability and adaptability of network hardware products and software packages.
- Install new vendor supplied network hardware and software solutions. Select parameters, generate, test and implement.
- Design and write software programs to meet specific requirements including configuration, programming, testing, documenting and implementation.
- Work with clients across the Corporation to discuss AMI network requirements and new hardware or software facilities.
- Work with telecom carriers and vendors of AMI network products and services regarding the installation hardware, software and the resolution of problems.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of designated portions of the AMI network facilities. Assist in studies relating to AMI network services hardware or software requirements, efficiency and reliability. Recommend changes to improve system effectiveness. Notify Supervisor of potential or existing problem areas.
- Work with internal and external customers regarding details on customer service issues and inquiries including the commissioning of meter and network devices and commencement of meter data collection. Respond effectively to inquiries associated with planned or unplanned AMI system disruptions to eliminate billing errors and customer complaints. Operate a variety of meter data head end software applications to process and monitor meter and AMI network device error reports. Clarify problem areas with supervisory, as appropriate. Perform printing, receipting, filing, updating and submissions of meter and AMI network device error reports, as required.
- Assist in the resolution of meter and AMI network device trouble reports using established procedures, practices and operational tools.
- Test and verify the end to end communication paths for data errors using the tools of the AMI network component and the head-ends systems prior to commissioning of meter installations and commencement of meter data collection.
- Maintain current knowledge of specific areas voice, video, LAN/WAN wired/wireless computer/network technologies. associated with new or revised equipment vendor products, procedures or applications that may be available. Assist in the preparation of recommendations for changes to AMI network products and services.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- Requires Bachelor degree in electrical engineering to gain an appreciation of design concepts to evaluate software and telecommunications equipment for varying network systems. Requires a knowledge of Advanced Metering Control Computer (AMCC) systems, methods and systems analysis and LAN/WAN, voice video and transmission technologies. Requires knowledge of computer programming concepts to design and write software programs to meet customer telecom solutions. Requires a good knowledge of English to communicate effectively with others and prepare various reports.Knowledge is normally acquired through the completion of 4 years university training (Grade XII plus 5 years).
- Requires experience with the meter data collection, validation, estimating and editing of meter data and AMI, Advanced Meter Control Computer (AMCC) systems and requirements associated with Measurement Canada. Requires experience to be familiar with the Hydro One network infrastructure. Requires experience to establish a working relationship with users of the services and other contacts to ensure job objectives are accomplished. Requires experience in telecom tariffs and commercial service offerings, carrier organizations, re-sellers etc. Requires experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Problems can occur maintaining software evaluating new or modified software and designing and writing software programs or when evaluating effectiveness of designated portions of the computer facility. Resolutions of these problems are generally based on past practice and precedent, but require modification, extension and variation to resolve specific problems.Experience in working to demanding deadlines, high workload and conflicting priorities.
- Requires carrying out assigned areas of responsibility under general direction of the supervisor. Guidance is provided on matters of importance and those cases not covered by standard practices and policies. Unusual problems and important matters would be referred to the Supervisor for direction or clarification. Supervisor is kept informed on work progress through review of completed regular and specialized work reports/activities
- Requires showing others how to perform tasks or duties.
- Requires working with internal customers to discuss terms and conditions of contracts for meter data and network services and work out details and resolve problems relating to meter data collection which may become controversial in nature.
- Work with external customers regarding details on customer service issues and inquiries including the commissioning of meter and network devices and commencement of meter data collection.
- Requires work to be carried out in the usual business office environment with the occasional requirement to visit. Manufacturers and customer locations and other site telecom/LAN installations.
- A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2021.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email caree[email protected]. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: October 4, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.