Job ID: 3710
Location: BURNABY, BC
Reporting to the Supervisor, Applicant Services, the Applications Assistant works in partnership with the housing sector and community agencies to ensure that those in need of affordable housing are able to access a range of options for assistance with housing. He/She/They provides direct customer service and support in the daily operations of the department’s programs and service delivery. The incumbent works cooperatively in a team environment and is knowledgeable in all Applicant Services’ program areas and is assigned work as required based on changing business needs and priorities.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma plus post-secondary courses in office systems and procedures, business administration, or customer service.
- Minimum three years’ experience in an office environment, with at least one year of experience providing detailed information to the public. Prior experience providing direct customer service to the public in a contact centre or comparable environment is an asset.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the Employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sound knowledge of affordable housing programs and housing clientele.
- Sound knowledge of general office procedures and systems.
- Working knowledge of government and community agencies and the services they provide.
- Working knowledge of computer applications including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, and ability to manoeuvre between applications with ease.
- Solid command of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Strong conflict resolution skills and the ability to demonstrate patience and respect and exercise tact, diplomacy and good judgement when dealing with upset, angry or abusive clients with diverse cultural, educational and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Strong analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills.
- Detail oriented with ability to maintain quality standards.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, the public, and housing providers.
- Ability to apply legislation, regulations, operating agreements and other information sources for the purpose of assessing and explaining eligibility.
- Ability to plan, meet deadlines and adapt to critical priorities in an environment with competing priorities and a heavy and diverse workload without compromising the quality of work.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, and to contribute and co-operate in a team environment.
- Ability to type minimum 40 words per minute.
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
How to Apply:
Please review the Job Description prior to applying for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted