AVP, Energy Underwriter
To analyze and underwrite highly complex new and renewal energy business, under minimal direction, utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework as a subject matter expert, ensuring a high level service to customers.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 7 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area. For SURETY POSITIONS ONLY: OR Finance, Accounting or Banking experience
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 14 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 12 or more years of experience in the Claims or Und erwriting Support area
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• Bachelors Degree
• Advanced knowledge and practice of line/s of business
• Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
• Ability to effectively assess risk
• Ability to work in a team- based environment
• Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Strong presentation skills
• Working under minimal direction, underwrite and analyze new and renewal business within delegated authority levels of highly complex assignments.
• Demonstrates specialized energy knowledge and expertise in products and industry.
• Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and rating manuals.
• Work at the highest authority limits on assignments utilizing the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance related needs and provide solutions.
• Support the organization’s sales culture by being a Help Point for agents, brokers and customers.
• Contribute to the development of propositions. Provide technical guidance, assistance, and training to lower level underwriters.
• Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
• Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
• Qualify accounts to meet with the organization’s appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
• Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
• Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
• Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
• Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory.
• Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
• Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame.
• Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
• Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
• Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
• Sponsor / lead product development.
• Develop training.
• Drive/manage how Business Unit will deal with emerging issues.
• Resolve technical issues for company.
• Provide expertise on coverage issues with claims.
• Develop u/w manuals, programs and guidelines.
• Handle & review large/complex underwriting submissions and annual underwriting reviews.
• Benchmark and establish best practices.
• Act as mentor.
Add. Job Functions:
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.