BMO Capital Markets Summer 2023 Corporate Banking Analyst, Toronto
100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Capital Mrkts Sales & Service
BMO Capital Markets
BMO Capital Markets is a leading, full-service North American-based financial services provider offering equity and debt underwriting, corporate lending and project financing, merger and acquisitions advisory services, securitization, treasury management, market risk management, debt and equity research and institutional sales and trading. BMO Capital Markets has approximately 2,600 professionals in 32 locations around the world, including 18 offices in North America.
BMO Capital Markets is a member of BMO Financial Group (NYSE, TSX: BMO), one of the largest diversified financial services providers in North America with US$806 billion total assets and nearly 44,000 employees as of January 31, 2022.
Who we are
Corporate Bankers play a central role in providing client solutions and monetizing lending relationships. We focus on building client relationships, growing strong revenue and aligning with our Investment Banking partners.
What will you do?
- Summer Analysts start the internship by completing a one-week training and orientation program
- During the next 15 weeks, you will gain valuable experience and exposure to a wide number of industries and sectors
- Beyond the on-the-job experience, the program encourages interns to network across various business groups, learn about BMO Capital Markets culture, participate in training seminars, get feedback, and receive coaching and career guidance from dedicated mentors while broadening your skills
- Get connected with various Capital Market professionals through CM Café Connext to grow your network
- Upon successful completion of this internship, you may receive a full-time offer for BMO Capital Markets Investment and Corporate Banking
What’s in it for you?
As a Corporate Banking Analyst at BMO Capital Markets, you will gain valuable exposure to different portfolios and client sectors.
Key responsibilities may include:
- Processing client requests (e.g. new credit facilities and extensions and/or amendments to existing credit facilities)
- Completing annual/interim credit reviews, which include industry and financial analysis comprising of operating performance, cash flow, leverage, coverage and liquidity, and capital-at-risk and other regulatory capital calculations
- Monitoring performance of portfolio companies against credit terms and conditions and identify changes in the financial condition of a client
- Preparing presentation materials and relationship profitability assessments, which involve liaising with other product and industry groups within BMO Capital Markets
- Performing other duties including industry and company-specific research and ad hoc projects for senior management
What are we looking for?
Talented, highly motivated individuals who seek to build a solid, comprehensive foundation in the basic skills of corporate banking.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or Master’s degree program (Non-MBA) with a graduation date of December 2023 or April 2024
- A minimum cGPA of 3.4/4.0;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills essential for presenting and writing reports;
- Finance and Accounting courses with grades “B” or higher;
- Demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities;
- Strong financial analysis and modeling skills;
- Proficient in Word/Excel/PowerPoint;
- Detail oriented;
- Fast learner and able to work with limited supervision and adapt to frequent market, systems, and process changes;
- Outgoing and personable; team player able to work effectively in small groups;
- Knowledgeable in the principles of finance and the financial markets;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment;
- Previous banking or credit risk management experience preferred
How to Apply:
For your application to be eligible for consideration, please apply to this posting.
Please ensure the following items are submitted in your application:
2. Transcript (Required for application consideration – please upload it in the resume section when applying in BMO’s Workday application system)
The campus internship job description above aligns to the internal full time job description below:
Supports the origination and structuring of corporate lending transactions, and coordinates with other products as an integral part of a larger coverage team that maintains strong client relationships. Includes providing lending expertise for a variety of sectors, establishing credit facilities to support trading products business and facilitating credit approvals in support of Trade Finance products. Cross sells Corporate Banking products (e.g. FX / treasury products, cash management & corporate cards, commodities, investment management, securitization, leasing, Trade Finance products, etc.) to BMO Capital Market clients. Also provides ongoing management of the lending portfolio.
- Develops written internal and external marketing pitch material.
- Supports deal teams in development, presentation, and winning mandates.
- Reviews and assists in preparation of credit documentation (i.e. including applications, memoranda, presentations, etc.) for internal and external stakeholders.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of client needs and outcomes.
- Identifies opportunities for increased efficiency and improved service to internal and external clients.
- Provides analytical findings to deal teams.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Researches and analyzes financial and operating information relating to companies and industries.
- Performs complex financial modeling and runs valuation analysis as part of client/ industry evaluations.
- Creates statistical exhibits and trend analysis of financial performance for client presentations.
- Completes due diligence and credit analysis on new and existing client relationships.
- Prepares industry compilations.
- Completes quality reports/analyses.
- Applies technical concepts and understands implication of work to client/transaction.
- Develops an understanding of and proficiency in using all required systems and models.
- Provides feedback on, and, supports continuous improvement opportunities.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis and/or streamlined reporting.
- Considers risk, internal controls and compliance as part of day-to-day accountabilities and adheres to policies and procedures.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 3 – 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Undergraduate degree has academic coursework in finance, economics, or accounting with an outstanding academic achievement.
- Has financial analysis training and experience.
- Has up to 3 years of relevant experience within investment and/or corporate banking unit.
- Excellent analytical skills. Highly skilled in building complex financial models.
- Expertise in financial computer applications and database management tools.
- Skilled in creating statistical presentations.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.