BMO Capital Markets Summer 2023 Investment Banking Analyst, Calgary
525 8th Avenue SW 9th Flr
Job Family Group:
Capital Mrkts Sales & Service
BMO Capital Markets
BMO Capital Markets is a leading, full-service North American-based financial services provider offering equity and debt underwriting, corporate lending and project financing, merger and acquisitions advisory services, securitization, treasury management, market risk management, debt and equity research and institutional sales and trading. BMO Capital Markets has approximately 2,600 professionals in 32 locations around the world, including 18 offices in North America.
BMO Capital Markets is a member of BMO Financial Group (NYSE, TSX: BMO), one of the largest diversified financial services providers in North America with US$806 billion total assets and nearly 44,000 employees as of January 31, 2022.
Who we are
Investment & Corporate Banking offers our clients an integrated Capital Markets platform which is characterized by our sector ecosystem approach to deploying a combination of deep industry sector expertise, innovative thinking in a team based approach and world class execution across a full suite of products, all backed by a strong balance sheet.
What will you do?
- Summer Analysts start the internship by completing a one-week training and orientation program
- During the next 15 weeks, you will be assigned to a specific Investment Banking product or industry group
- Beyond the on-the-job experience, the program encourages interns to network across various business groups, learn about BMO Capital Markets culture, participate in training seminars, get feedback, and receive coaching and career guidance from dedicated mentors while broadening your skills
- Get connected with various Capital Market professionals through CM Café Connext to grow your network
- Upon successful completion of this internship, you may receive a full-time offer for BMO Capital Markets Investment and Corporate Banking
What’s in it for you?
You will gain valuable exposure to a wide number of industries and work with a variety of financial products, including public and private debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, and financial advisory.
- Running valuation analyses;
- Performing complex financial modeling;
- Conducting industry and company research and analysis;
- Developing client presentations;
- Writing internal and external marketing memoranda;
- Performing other tasks supporting client relationships and business development
What are we looking for?
This position is ideally suited for talented, highly motivated individuals who seek to build a solid, comprehensive foundation in the basic skills of investment banking. As an Analyst, you will be part of a dynamic investment banking environment.
- Students who are enrolled in an undergraduate degree program; graduating in December 2023 or Spring 2024
- Have a minimum cGPA of 3.4/4.0;
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in finance, math, accounting, engineering, economics, statistics
- Outstanding academic achievement and peer recognition;
- Excellent analytical skills in business, financial and credit analysis areas;
- Strong interpersonal skills used within a demanding team environment;
- Demonstrated proactivity, resiliency, and an unfailingly positive attitude;
- Ability to attentively review, assess and provide detailed information daily on multiple projects in an organized manner;
- Excellent capacity to independently function as part of a team through self-motivation;
- Strong work ethic and a high level of professional integrity.
How to Apply:
For your application to be eligible for consideration, please apply to this posting.
Please ensure the following items are submitted in your application:
1. Cover Letter (optional)
The campus internship job description above aligns to the internal full time job description below:
Provides a combination of deep industry sector expertise, innovative thinking in a team-based approach and world class execution across a full suite of products to clients through an integrated Capital Markets platform using a sector ecosystem approach. Collaborates to generate creative, client-focused solutions to prospective and current clients.
- Develops written internal and external marketing on pitch material.
- Supports deal teams in development, presentation, and winning mandates.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of client needs and outcomes.
- Provides materials to support an outstanding client experience.
- Identifies opportunities for increased efficiency and improved service to internal and external clients.
- Provides analytical findings to deal teams.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Completes quality reports/analyses.
- Researches and analyzes company and industry financial and operating information.
- Performs complex financial modeling and runs valuation analysis as part of client / industry evaluations.
- Creates statistical exhibits and financial performance trend analysis for client presentations.
- Applies technical concepts and understands implication of work to client/transaction.
- Develops an understanding of and proficiency in using all required systems and models.
- Provides feedback on, and supports continuous improvement opportunities.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis, and/or streamlined reporting.
- Delivers financial modeling to support strategic recommendations to clients.
- Considers risk, internal controls and compliance as part of day-to-day accountabilities and adheres to policies and procedures.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 3 – 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An undergraduate degree with academic coursework in finance, economics, or accounting and an outstanding academic achievement.
- Financial analysis training and experience.
- 0 – 3 years of successive relevant experience within investment and/or corporate banking experience based on business requirements.
- Highly skilled in building complex financial models.
- Expertise in financial computer applications and database management tools.
- Skilled in creating statistical presentations.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.