BMO Software Developer Analyst (Fall 2022 Internship)
100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Capital Mrkts Sales & Service
BMO Capital Markets
BMO Capital Markets is a leading, full-service North American-based financial services provider offering equity and debt underwriting, corporate lending and project financing, merger and acquisitions advisory services, securitization, treasury management, market risk management, debt and equity research and institutional sales and trading. BMO Capital Markets has approximately 2,600 professionals in 32 locations around the world, including 18 offices in North America.
BMO Capital Markets is a member of BMO Financial Group (NYSE, TSX: BMO), one of the largest diversified financial services providers in North America with US$798 billion total assets and approximately 43,900 employees as of October 31, 2021.
The Analyst will participate in a one-week training and orientation program. In addition to this on-the-job experience, the program includes the opportunity to network across various business groups, learn about the culture of BMO Capital Markets, participate in training and learning seminars, and obtain career guidance from dedicated mentors.
Candidates will have the opportunity to work on solving interesting and challenging problems using their programming skills in a dynamic and stimulating environment. These assignments will vary widely from day to day based on the needs of the business.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assists in the design, development and implementation of new productivity solutions to improve efficiency, user experience and simplify processes
- Assists in the design, development, testing, and implementation of enhancements to existing applications/solutions
- Creates front-end components and solutions from high-fidelity concepts and/or wireframes
- Codes all CSS elements of web-based applications
- Performs web application, database and report tuning
- Assists in the execution and delivery of CM reporting/analytics to all Business & Client Analytics stakeholders
- Helps maintain existing automated solutions supporting LOB and team functions
- Helps to create/maintain design, data flow, operational and user documentation of provided business solutions
- Helps to develop/improve application development standards in order to provide optimum maintenance and consistency across applications
- Tests ongoing improvements to applications and process improvement initiatives
- Creates/implements application performance and capacity metrics
- Provides technical support and business analysis to internal clients and Business & Clients Analytics team
- Participates in and contributes to project and team meetings, interacting and collaborating with team members and other departments, as appropriate, in order to understand project requirements
- Assess current practices and introduce process efficiencies / automation
- Utilize knowledge of CM’s businesses, products, and risk measures to provide productivity solutions in support of LOB performance and strategic objectives
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who can work well in a team-based environment and seek a challenge.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or Master’s program; graduating in 2024, 2025, 2026 (applicants are typically between their second and second last co-op term);
- Currently working towards a degree in: Engineering, Computer Science;
- Strong academic record and extracurricular achievement;
- Excellent research and analytical skills, able to collect, analyze and interpret data;
- Strong interpersonal skills used within a demanding team environment;
- Demonstrated proactivity, resiliency, positive attitude and high motivation;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to attentively review, assess and provide detailed information daily on multiple projects in an organized manner;
- Excellent capacity to independently function as part of a team through self -motivation;
- Strong work ethic and a high level of professional integrity;
- Detail and results orientated.
- Knowledge and/or experience in web application development skills (C#, ASP.NET, MVC, Web API)
- Demonstrates knowledge of database design and T-SQL for writing queries and procedures
- Demonstrates knowledge of design and analysis methodology and application development processes/Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Fluency in Excel, including VBA including scripting and efficient spreadsheet design;
- Strong technical writing ability.
How to Apply:
For your application to be eligible for consideration, you must apply to the BMO application link.
Please ensure the following items are submitted in your application:
- Transcript (Required for application consideration – please upload it in the resume section when applying in BMO’s Workday application system).
The campus job description above aligns to the internal job description below.
Provides a markets-based suite of sales and trading solutions to Institutional, Corporate, and Retail clients. Offers a full spectrum of integrated capabilities to
deliver leading market insight, risk management, and execution services to issuing and/or investor clients, including access to major global markets across asset classes including: debt, foreign exchange, interest rate, credit, equity, securitization, and commodities. Provides competitive pricing to all clients and seeks out new opportunities with prospective clients. Maximizes profit while prudently minimizing the bank’s exposure and adhering to regulatory statutes.
- Acts as point person to provide client support in the form of proposals, marketing material, event planning, and scheduling with the cooperation of trading and sales, research, and marketing and with the support of a senior leader.
- Responds to inquiries from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community in a professional manner and determines acceptable solutions.
- Helps manage the flow of inquiries, market data, and other information from clients. Routes client calls appropriately and responds quickly to client questions.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of client needs and outcomes.
- Coordinates conference calls, client events and meetings.
- Maintains a proactive, client service focus in order to meet their needs and increase revenue; contacts customers to present available investment services and develops client prospects from among current customers, referral leads and other sources.
- Verifies that all confirms on trades or sales are accurate and promptly delivered.
- Communicates transaction details to the brokerage community and custodians. Resolves settlement issues related to incorrect billing.
- Answers phones, file, fax, and coordinates meeting and travel arrangements.
- Develops strong market knowledge to provide comprehensive service to clients, develop new solutions, and construct compelling recommendations.
- Reads, analyzes and interprets common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents in order to better serve client needs.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Cultivates strong relationships with the research team in order to understand their industries and stock coverage.
- Uses analytical skills (probability, statistical inference, etc.) and applies appropriate technical concepts and completes/leads consistent and reliable technical and financial reports/analyses to support client deliverables.
- Defines problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draws valid conclusions.
- Develops an understanding of and proficiency in using all required systems and models.
- Supports change management of varying scope and type; tasks typically focused on execution and sustainment activities.
- Executes a variety of administrative and analytical tasks as assigned and with minimal supervision (e.g. procedural documentation, brokerage and client commission reporting, maintenance of contacts database, disaster recovery planning, tracking and updating of periodic trading or sales metrics, etc.).
- Administers all aspects of the sales and or trading desk, record keeping, reporting, and file maintenance in accordance with internal controls and compliance policies and external regulations.
- Responds to requests for information from both internal and external sources.
- Communicates market data and client changes to colleagues when they are on the road or in meetings.
- Provides feedback on, and, supports continuous improvement opportunities.
- Considers risk, internal controls and compliance as part of day-to-day accountabilities and adheres to policies and procedures.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 3 – 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with institutional equity markets.
- Series 7, 63 licenses.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, investment and financial reports.
- Strong familiarity with Outlook, Excel, Reuters Plus, Bloomberg, public finance/business news websites is desired.
- I-Star familiarity.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.