Child & Youth Mental Health And Addictions Counsellor
Salary: $45,000 – $55,000 / year (depending on education and experience)
The Whitefish River First Nation is seeking a qualified and highly motivated individual for the position of Mental Health & Addictions Child and Youth Counsellor. This position requires one-on-one and group mental health and addiction counseling services to children and youth ages six to under eighteen. Programming is to be focused on culturally relevant prevention programming (i.e. strengthening families, Triple P, Safe Talk, etc.). This counselling position requires a holistic approach that is consistent with Anishinabek values. The Counselor will be responsible for the coordination of integrated services delivery for all assigned children, youth, and their families.
The services will be both community and school-based. Within the elementary and high schools in Espanola, the counselor will be available to WRFN students as a priority and also to other indigenous students within the schools as a culturally relevant mental health and addictions counseling support.
- Complete a comprehensive process from intake, clinical assessments, and interventions, treatment plans, one on one and group treatment and counseling, referrals and discharge, specifically with Anishinabek children and youth under the age of 18 years;
- Work within the Whitefish River community health center participating in a circle of care with internal and external multiple disciplinary professionals;
- Work within elementary and secondary school environments with school partners;
- Consult with parents of children and youth;
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of area children, youth and family services;
- Develop and implement community-based and culturally relevant mental health prevention and promotion
- programming to engage children and youth within their community; and
- Chart and communicate within an electronic health environment.
- A detailed job description can be requested upon request.
- Bachelors of Social Work (BSW); or Bachelor of Science in Nursing with certification in Mental Health Nursing or related Post-Secondary designation in a related field and five years relevant experience preferably in a First Nation Community or Indigenous organization;
- Must be currently registered with professional college or organization to provide counselling services.
- Demonstrated ability to follow direction and work with little or no supervision;
- Knowledge of Health and Safety and Child and Family Services Legislation;
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, language, and healing practices, in addition to experience working with Indigenous families:
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills along with the ability to effectively maintain solution-focused dialogue;
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with families, service providers, and stakeholders and the broader community;
- Knowledge of unique needs of WRFN children and families, or the willingness to learn; Ability to support self-advocacy with families;
- Excellent group facilitation, verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Clear Driver’s Abstract, ability to drive, and a reliable vehicle;
- Maintenance of an ongoing clear Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check;
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR; Mental Health First Aid; A.S.I.S.T Certification; and Critical Incident Stress Management level 1 & 2;
- Ability to travel and to work flexible hours according to the needs of WRFN families.
Glenn Forrest, Band Manager
Whitefish River First Nation; 17-A Rainbow Ridge Road; P.O. Box 188; Birch Island; ON P0P1A0
Email: [email protected]; Fax: (705)285-4335
Cover letter, current resume, copies of certificates (Degrees or Diplomas), and 3 current (dated within the last 3 months, 1 being from your most recent employment) reference letters.
Applications will be accepted via email, fax, and mail or in-person to the attention of:
Successful candidates must submit an original/current copy of their Vulnerable Sector Screening Check prior to employment.
We thank all who apply, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.