Date: Jan 22, 2021
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
40542 – Mississauga – Temporary – Until August 25, 2022 (18 months)
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Operate a variety of meter data head end software applications to process and monitor meter and AMI network device error reports. Clarify problem areas with supervisory, as appropriate. Perform printing, receipting, filing, updating and submissions of meter and AMI network device error reports, as required.
- Perform daily verification routines on AMI devices and head-end systems and update/edit, as required (e.g. data files, error logs and reports).
- Assist in the development/revision of processes, tools and procedures documents, as required.
- Process AMI device exceptions; follow up with internal and external support groups on the status of exceptions and ticket resolutions.
- Assist in the resolution of AMI device exceptions using established procedures, practices and operational tools.
- Test and verify the end to end communication paths for data errors using the tools of the AMI network component and the head-ends systems prior to commissioning of meter AMI device installations and commencement of meter data collection.
- Update and maintain network component assets, configuration database and network map in accordance to established procedures.
- Provide work program and project support for AMI Complex Metering (Retail, Wholesale and Power Quality)
- Hands-on work in a Lab environment. Knowledge of operating engineering tools and software required to troubleshoot network equipment (e.g. collectors, repeaters, modems). Follow work instructions to perform debugging of network equipment.
- Maintain inventory levels for equipment/materials required in the lab for day to day tasks. Generate monthly reports. Excel and VBA knowledge is required.
- Track progress of tasks utilizing existing databases. Frequently communicate with other groups to coordinate work.
- Evolving work environment requires adaptability to new processes and software. Ability to multitask is required to coordinate the flow of inventory, respond to requests from other groups and accomplish daily tasks.
- Assist with the maintenance of Telecom, Protection, Control and Monitoring Inventory.
- Work with internal customers to assist with replacing defective equipment and with vendors to repair equipment.
- Use system of record (SAP) to create purchase requisitions and purchase orders.
- Operate and apply a variety of software applications in order to produce documents, spreadsheets, presentations and flowcharts, tables and organizational charts. Perform text and object manipulation using the applications of sorting, moving, merging, segmenting and scanning. Produce lengthy numeric tables and flowcharts that involve detailed and/or specialized set-ups.
Skills that will be developed during the work term:
- Development of critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Gain deep understanding of electrical metering knowledge.
- Gain understanding of technical terms used in electrical distribution business.
- Gain understanding of utility billing processes and systems.
- Gain experience with meter data collection, validation, estimating and editing of meter data and AMI systems.
- Gain understanding of electrical power systems and equipment relating to transmission/distribution assets.
- Gain experience working with “big data.”
- Gain practical working and troubleshooting experience related to AMI equipment and systems.
- Completion of third-year of Electrical Engineering program.
- Requires experience with databases, data management, analysis and reporting.
- Requires knowledge of computerized information systems and business administration to be able to develop and utilize systems and processes for analyzing, presenting and reporting information.
- Experience with SAP will be an asset.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Hydro One requires that all students applying for student opportunities be enrolled in post-secondary level studies and be returning to full-time studies upon the completion of their work term. Exceptions will be made in cases where students require a work term in order to graduate. Only applications submitted via Hydro One’s career page will be accepted.
If you are an international student, please ensure you have obtained a proper work permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Speak with your school’s career centre if you have any questions about acquiring this documentation.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Deadline: February 8, 2020
**Please note that students are to apply to a maximum of 3 co-op positions per term.
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.