Title: Coordinator, Volunteer Experience & Engagement
Location: Ontario, Canada
Employment status: Permanent, full time
Salary band: $47,860 – $60,986/year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Coordinator – Volunteer Experience & Engagement to join our team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under the supervision of the Senior Manager Volunteer Experience and Engagement (VEE), the Volunteer Experience & Engagement (VEE) Coordinator works in conjunction with geographic program and service teams to build and support volunteer capacity, and to work to enhance the experience and engagement of volunteers. The coordinator supports various facets of the volunteer resource management cycle including, but not limited to: sourcing, orientation, onboarding, engagement, and recognition of volunteers. The coordinator also assists with various volunteer-related projects and committees; and recruits, trains, supports and directs a team of VEE volunteers to carry out various volunteer activities.
In this role, you will:
Responsibility 1: Supports sourcing of volunteers
- Under the direction of the Senior Manager VEE, utilize, and when necessary, adapt, national strategies and recruitment tools towards a targeted sourcing approach for identified communities, volunteer profiles and volunteer classifications for the identified geography.
- In conjunction with the Senior Manager VEE, review and analyze a variety of data to understand the success of the applied sourcing approach and adapt as required.
- Conduct program information sessions to provide a high-level overview of volunteer role expectations, commitments, and organizational understanding.
- Build and maintain community profiles, partnerships, practicum placements, and memberships to identify sourcing opportunities and reach target audiences.
Responsibility 2: Supports volunteer engagement
- Ensure that the Senior Manager VEE is aware of any concerns or challenges that have been identified by volunteer supervisors or volunteers in relation to the volunteer experience. (Recruitment, onboarding, trainings, performance, engagement, recognition).
- Monitor the generic volunteer inbox assisting with responding to all general enquires or escalating when required.
- Collect performance reviews and distribute to program coordinators flagging promotions and/or support to volunteers requiring additional training for future assignments/deployments. Escalate more complex reviews to Senior Manager VEE.
- Conduct and record volunteer exit interviews when requested and conduct volunteer orientation sessions about the CRC structure, programs, and services available for volunteers.
Responsibility 3: Supports recognition activities
- Support all facets of the CRC formal volunteer awards process that includes encouragement of nominations, communication, administrative duties, ensuring accuracy of award nomination documents, and liaising with program volunteer supervisors to ensure smooth operation of the process.
- Act as the staff support for the Regional and/or Provincial Recognition Committees.
- Promote and track provincial recognition activities to ensure volunteer events are scheduled and follow processes that meet CRC recognition standards. Provide guidance and tools to assist with the success of local/regional appreciation events.
- Support volunteer supervisors with informal recognition planning and activities.
What we are looking for:
- The minimum qualifications for this position include post secondary education in volunteer management, social sciences, human resources, or community development with a minimum of three years experience, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Professionalism, credibility, and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a team and establish and manage productive internal and external relationships.
- Strong customer service orientation and planning, organization, priority setting and negotiation skills to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Demonstrated competency building, leading, and working collaboratively with teams including volunteer teams.
- Computer and numerical literacy, comfort working with data bases.
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English is essential.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Certification in or working towards a certification in Volunteer Management (CVA) and/or experience working within a virtual team environment considered assets.
- Work is mostly performed in an office environment or as part of a virtual team working remotely from home. Must have an appropriate workspace at home to conduct work without interruption and respecting confidentiality.
- Travel to conduct outreach activities and attend committee meetings.
- On occasion, may be required to work non-traditional hours; therefore, the ability to work on evenings and weekends will be required.
- Good internet connectivity is required.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.