Title: Delivery Driver/Community Services Assistant
Employee Working Location: Office/In-person (Etobicoke, ON)
Employment status: Permanent full time
Salary band: $35,702 – $44,628 / year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 – is seeking a Delivery Driver/Community Services Assistant to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will work within the Mobile Food Bank and with the direction of the Program Coordinator. The Delivery Driver (Community Services Assistant) is responsible for delivering food boxes to clients and for participating in administrative activities at home base located at 557 Dixon Rd, Toronto. The Mobile Food Bank is a unique, community program that provides food hampers to low income people in Toronto, who are experiencing disabilities that do not allow them to access a regular walk-in food bank.
In this role, you will:
- Vehicle safety and oversight; daily inspection; documentation in logbook; report irregularities to supervisor; vehicles taken in for regular and emergency maintenance.
- Hamper inspection for accuracy prior to delivery.
- Stock coolers with fresh produce identified for day’s deliveries.
- Load van securely for individual deliveries/stops throughout the GTA, including private homes and high-rise apartment buildings.
- Create daily manifest and revise as necessary; plan best delivery route; call clients if expect “normal” schedule to be disrupted.
- Assist within the food bank before/after deliveries, unload trucks, unpack boxes, stock shelves, and store fresh produce while maintaining quality assurance standards.
- Deliver hamper and fresh produce to each client listed on daily manifest.
- Client interaction may include entering home, receiving compliments/complaints, reviewing eligibility documents, brief friendly conversations with those who are isolated.
- Observation of client and environment and report back any critical issues to Coordinator.
- Represent CRC positively in the community through professional behaviour and appearance.
- Use of CIMS database on a daily basis to update client files including change of address, placing clients on hold, updating household member information.
- Input daily statistics into two separate Link2Feed databases.
What we are looking for:
- A valid Province of Ontario, Class “G” Driver’s License
- Minimum two years driving experience; experience with driving commercial vehicles, cube/cargo or van is an asset.
- Good driving record (Clean CVOR/Drivers abstract – no more than three demerit points) and familiarity with location of major city streets.
- High school diploma is a minimum educational requirement.
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties (ability to repeatedly lift up to 50lbs) and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Background in safe food handling an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of non-violent crisis intervention.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position. (Google maps/GPS)
- Ability to deal courteously with the clients, public, staff.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties (verbal & written communication skills)
- Demonstrated ability to use MS Office, Databases (data entry)
- Demonstrated understanding of poverty and disability (and intersection of both)
- Working alone while on deliveries in the community
- Repetitive, heavy lifting (loading and unloading full hampers and coolers)
- Traffic congestion; difficulty locating authorized parking.
- Repeated exposure to extreme weather driving and delivering to clients.
- Unpleasant physical environments: outdoors during winter (icy walkways etc.); indoors in clients’ homes (hoarding, uncontrolled pets, second hand smoke etc.) — could constitute some level of risk.
- Unpleasant client contact (displays of anger, discontent, abusive behaviour).
- Please note that there is no relocation package for this position.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible – those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.