Job Title: Full Time, Permanent, Experience Development Officer (Tourism Development Officer)
Location: Office location will be determined based on geographical region of the successful applicant. Office locations are as follows: Corner Brook, St. George’s, Stephenville, Grand Falls-Windsor and Glenwood, NL.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Salary: $42,000/per annum
Job Description: Under the direction of the Manager of Tourism and Community Development, The Experience Development Officer is responsible for assisting with the implementation of all tourism and craft development initiatives, including marketing, development and training and working one on one with Indigenous business owners.
- Working directly with current and emerging tourism operators, crafts people and experience providers to provide support and information on market and export readiness, Indigenous tourism, marketing and other tourism related issues
- Providing assistance in creating and updating profiles on the Experience Qalipu website
- Communication support for tourism and craft initiatives, including website updates, social media posts, newsletter articles and event marketing
- Maintaining databases for tourism and craft assets
- Developing and maintaining a database of cultural experience providers
- Planning and coordination of training initiatives including logistic planning, participant recruitment, advertising and facilitation
- Planning and coordination of events (I.E., the Qalipu Tourism Forum) including the recruitment of facilitators/speakers, logistic planning, promotion, and registration
- Working with internal staff and partners to develop and implement cultural visitor experiences
- Assisting in the implementation of the Qalipu five-year tourism and craft strategies
- Working within strict budget guidelines
- Assisting in the promotion of Experience Qalipu at trade shows and conferences
- Working with partners such as Parks Canada, Hospitality NL, Provincial DMOs, and the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada to further develop the Indigenous Tourism offering within Newfoundland and Labrador
- Pursuing appropriate funding opportunities
- Assisting in the implementation of cultural skills development initiatives
- Other duties as identified by supervisor
Education: Education requirements are a bachelor level degree in business administration, community economic development or equivalent.
Experience: The preferred candidate will have 3 years of relevant experience specific to tourism/craft development. They will have experience in community economic development and/or private sector tourism or craft related activities. They will also have experience working as part of a development team in a fast paced and dynamic environment
Work Environment: Duties will predominantly be met during regular business hours. Some travel and flexibility of work schedule may be required.
Successful applications must posses a valid driver’s license and have access to a private vehicle.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with resume, covering letter, and three professional references using one of the options listed below. Submissions should be addressed to:
Mrs. Janet McAuley, Human Resources Manager
Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation
3 Church Street
Corner Brook, NL A2H 2Z4
To Apply, please use one of the options listed below:
Electronically apply by email to: [email protected] using MS Word with subject line: “Experience Development Officer”
Deadline for receipt of Cover Letter and Resume: Friday, September 10th, 2021, at 12:30 pm.
Please note: Diplomas/certificates for Post-Secondary Education and Training and a Code of Conduct with a vulnerable sector query are required.
QFN is an equal opportunity employer, in situations where candidates have equal credentials, preference will be given to aboriginal candidates. If you are a member of Qalipu First Nation please indicate it in your cover letter.