Company: Great Lakes Food Company Ltd.
Business Information: Great Lakes Food Company specializes only in premium quality Rainbow Lake smelt harvested by five trawlers, operating from a 5,000 square meter advanced processing and 7,000 pallet-positioned cold storage complex. An export-oriented company certified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Great Lakes Food Company is recognized as the world leader in the production and supply of premium quality Rainbow Lake smelt.
Business Address: 135 Bothwell Street, Chatham, ON N7M 5K5
Work location: Same as above
Type of Employment: Full time – permanent
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Unload smelts from fishing vessels and transport them by hand or forklift truck to work area in fish processing plan
- Weigh fish, record weight
- Transport supplies and packaging materials throughout plant and storage area manually or with powered equipment
- Feed fish into pockets with the correct orientation
- Maintain a minimum speed of 80+ plus fish per minute
- Communicate with the cutter machine operator to ensure product throughput and quality standards are being met, including maintenance issues with machine or machine breakdowns
- Inspect smelt – remove defects (shiners, shad, burst bellies, broken pieces, mixed species, ice, VHS, freezer burn, discoloration, foreign materials, etc.)
- Be able to make boxes to supply polyline in a timely manner without shutting down production
- Fill cases – 300 cases per hour minimum
- Weigh cases and add / remove product as required to ensure accurate net weights
- Palletize 5 kg boxes. 150 cases per skid and be able to pile these approximately 6 feet high. (if needed)
- Ensure net weights, labeling, and packaging of products are clean and within customer specifications
- Stop the line and notify the pack line operator, if the disposition of product changes and inspectors encounter changes in sizes, quality, etc.
- Clean work areas and equipment, tools, bins, etc.
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) procedures while performing job duties and tasks
– Education: No specific education is required
– Experience: Experience is an asset. Training will be provided
– Follow all Hygiene requirements and Health and Safety protocols
Work Conditions and physical capabilities: Fast-paced environment, Tight deadlines, Repetitive tasks, Handling heavy loads, Physically demanding, Attention to detail, Standing for extended periods, Bending, crouching, kneeling, Work under pressure, Manual dexterity, Hand-eye coordination
Weight handling: Up to 9 kg (20 lbs.)
Personal suitability: Flexibility, Accurate, Judgement, Effective interpersonal skills, Team player, Organized
– Work environment: Odours
-Language: English is required
Salary: $18.31 per hour, 40 – 60 hours per week.
Benefits: Transportation costs covered if the worker needs to relocate. Accommodation provided at a cost. After the probationary period (720 hours) is successfully completed, the candidate will become a member of the union. The candidate will also qualify for medical, limited vision care and dental benefits, as well as the Great Lakes Food Company (GLFC’s) pension plan, disability and life insurance. Protection equipment provided at no cost. Annual boot allowance provided once a union member.
Important information: Flexibility in schedule is required. The working hours for the day shift are: 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM, for the afternoon shift are 3:00 PM – 11:00 PM, and for the night shift are 11:00 PM – 7:00 AM. Weekend work may be required based on the business’ needs.
Apply by e-mail to: [email protected]
cc: [email protected]
**Please apply with the subject: Job Application – Fish processing labourer
Apply by mail to: PO Box 426, 135 Bothwell Street, Chatham, ON N7M 5K5