Date: Jan 12, 2021
Location: Rexdale, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
40485 – Rexdale – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Model outside plant (OSP) fibre optic networks using GIS tools, network inventory management, and other application systems
- Maintain the data in the various systems. Perform audits, data updates, bulk data upload/download, and prepare or edit digital files
- Produce reports, documents, and deliver user training
- Provide digital mapping, photogrammetric and conventional line drawings to support the production of fiber route and location plans
- Provide advice and guidance to contractors regarding the quality of their OSP construction drawings
- Review completed drawings to ensure they meet the required standards
- Prepare drawings, bills of materials, and other documents using GIS and other tools to support OSP installations
- Reserve available fibre strands for new telecom circuits
- Perform fibre cable locates using Ontario1Call
- Assist network operations centre (NOC) in troubleshooting fibre network issues. Coordinate fibre cable repairs when applicable
- Assist in the evaluation of new software systems
- May be required to assist the department with spares inventory management
- Perform other duties as required
- Knowledge of mathematics, computer technology, mapping principles, geography, photogrammetric and associated calculations to prepare drawings for design, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance of OSP
- Good knowledge of database technology related to GIS in order to digitize mapping information for loading/downloading to computer systems
- Knowledge of drafting standards related to OSP and survey drawings
- Familiar with OSP construction and maintenance activities
- Knowledge of OSP components including their purpose, physical attributes, and limitations
- General knowledge of telecom technologies and services
- Good knowledge of English to effectively communicate with staff, clients, suppliers and government agencies
- Grade 12 plus up to one year further concentrated study
- Extensive experience with GIS tools and OSP management systems especially with ESRI tools and Schneider ArcFM Fiber Manager
- Proficient in Excel and SQL for the purpose of preparing data for download/upload to computer systems
- Experience in fibre cable testing and troubleshooting
- Proven good organizational, analytical, listening, verbal and written communications skills
- A minimum period of 5 years of related working experience. Experience with commercial telecommunication networks is an added advantage
- A period of over 8 years is considered necessary to gain experience
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: January 25 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.