Head, Canadian Brand & Sponsorship Advertising
55 Bloor Street West
Job Family Group:
Here’s the person we’re seeking to join our team:
You’re a dynamic, capable, experienced storyteller and strategic thinker with a demonstrated track record of elevating brands. You’re fascinated by consumer behavior and can recognize true insights (and not just observations). You know how to visualize data to tell compelling stories. And you’ve got a knack for identifying breakthrough creative ideas and working with your agency partners to deliver them flawlessly.
But most importantly: you want to be part of a culture of ideas, fun, and learning with smart, hilarious people who do some of the most exciting, successful work in banking and marketing.
Here’s a bit more about the job:
Under the direction of the Head of Brand & Social media, this role leads brand strategy and execution for Canada. The role is responsible for the development of innovative, strategic and creative marketing plans designed to increase brand differentiation and consumer/prospect consideration, drive sales and deliver company growth and profit objectives for the Canadian. market. The Director is responsible for elevating the level of consumer awareness, brand affinity and brand consideration through the use of TV, streaming, social media, video, out of home, experiential, and differentiated brand communications. The role plays is pivotal in the development and execution of the overall BMO brand strategy, and includes oversight, synthesis and reporting of quantitative and qualitative consumer research.
In terms of collaboration, the director works with:
- The brand team leader in the United States in the development of the brand strategy and is responsible to ensure that all marketing initiatives are integrated and aligned with the long-term direction of the BMO brand and the company’s 2025 ambitions.
- Line of business marketers and product leads to support the achievement of acquisition goals in Canada.
- The bank’s sponsorships team to amplify the bank’s sponsorships and partnerships, including those with Major League Soccer, BMO Field, Vancouver Marathon, and the Calgary Stampede. And the role collaborates with the director of enterprise marketing to successfully deliver campaigns and messages that illustrate the bank’s commitment to its Purpose, including its focus on inclusion and sustainability.
Ultimately, this role must develop innovative, strategic and creative marketing plans designed to increase brand differentiation, reputation, and develop a larger pool of prospective customers willing to purchase the bank’s products and services.
Specifically, this role will:
- Lead development and execution of quarterly fully integrated brand marketing plans and programs that successfully boost consideration while achieving targets for breakthrough, response and brand impact among consumers; prepare ongoing communications on the impact and progress of the brand strategy and initiatives for senior LOB stakeholders
- Identify insights to understand the consumer trends relevant to the business as well as the market, competitive environment and company performance trends.
- Understand relevant segments and their motivations to develop targeted initiatives that drive the business forward.
- Oversee, synthesize and derive relevant insights from qualitative and quantitative market research
- Oversee development and execution of engagement and activation strategies in social media and experiential platforms with dedicated initiatives in support of social impact/inclusion and sponsorship advertising/soccer to drive reputation and affinity for BMO, measured relative to comparable competitor initiatives
- Partner with U.S. lead in the development of integrated North American brand media plan, making well-argued case for appropriate levels of funding to support BMO Effect platform, sponsorships, and purpose; a carefully considered media mix; and alignment with likely LOB media efforts
- Clarify, test and hone best practice of “full funnel” efforts, collaborating with LOB marketers to articulate a concise, robust framework for testing and learning for integrated campaigns
The successful candidate will have:
- 8-10+ years of experience in brand building, ideally with a mix of client and agency-side roles
- Highly effective interpersonal skills to develop strong relationships
- Strong written and oral presentation skills and presence—with strong technical ability with PowerPoint, Excel and Word with exceptional data visualization skills.
- Comfortable with being uncomfortable and can effectively manage ambiguity, creating structure and defining opportunities
- Highly effective at working in a fast-paced environment and ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities
- Ability to think strategically while working tactically
- Razor sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Minimum of undergraduate degree in marketing, business, commerce, or a related discipline; MBA is welcomed but not required
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.