Housing Outreach Worker
Posting Date: Monday, June 13, 2022
Posting ID: 077
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Housing Outreach Worker. The main priority of the Housing Outreach Worker is to provide Housing-focused case management supports to Indigenous community members who are unsheltered. Working closely with community members in outdoor locations, the Housing Outreach Worker provides compassionate and non-judgmental support and works from the basis of Indigenous harm reduction to support cultural and community reconnection.
Role and Responsibility
Using a wholistic Indigenous-led approach to principles of Harm Reduction and Housing First, the Housing Outreach Worker will offer compassionate and assertive care and support to community members who may be experiencing homelessness, social stigma, unbalanced mental wellness, trauma and substance use. The Housing Outreach Worker builds relationships with community members who are unsheltered and who may be reluctant to access traditional support services. The Housing Outreach Worker provides support to reduce the harmful effects of sleeping in public spaces/unsheltered while engaging community supports towards creating a pathway to long-term housing. The Housing Outreach Worker proactively intervenes when crisis or conflict arises, which may include aggressive or disruptive behavior due to substance use, mental health challenges, or trauma. The Housing Outreach Worker will communicate with other agencies, maintain confidentiality of all participants and documents of Atlohsa Family Healing Services, will record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication. The Housing Outreach Worker will work to ensure that Atlohsa Family Healing Services is a safe space for all community members accessing services and programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Understanding of Indigenous homelessness and Indigenous harm reduction, including knowledge of Indigenous approaches to positive sexuality and substance use harm reduction models
- Strong analysis of colonialism and the ways in which historical and ongoing colonialization impacts Indigenous peoples intergenerationally.
- Strong understanding of the needs of unsheltered people and knowledge on how to support a diverse community
- Willingness to work in outdoor locations in various weather and terrain settings
- Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demands in fast paced environment
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
- Current Vulnerable Sector check and valid G Driver’s License
Please identify in your cover letter if you are Indigenous and have lived experience relevant to the position
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Full-time contract position to March 31, 2023 with potential for renewal
CLOSING DATE: Monday, June 27, 2022 @ 5:00 p.m.
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation and benefits package based on qualifications
Individuals who self-identify as First Nations, Metis or Inuit are strongly encouraged to apply. At Atlohsa, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply, however preferences will be given to qualified, Indigenous applicants.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: [email protected]
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.